WIELDSKILL much too powerful?

Nathan

First Post
Hi!

Do you also think that the spell wieldskill from MoF is broken compared with other ways to increase skill check results?

wieldskill gives a +10 competence bonus on a skill, it is a 1st-level ability.

inspire competence, the bardic music ability, gives a +2 competence bonus, it is something like a 3rd-level ability but more or less useless if there is cleric in the group.

Psionic shards give also bonuses to skill checks, as far as I can remember up to +10. But this would cost about 400 gp (correct me if I am wrong) much more than a scroll or potion of wieldskill costs.

How do you handle these topics in your campaign?

Nathan

Rybaer

First Post
It does seem to have the potential for abuse, but I don't think it's too out of whack. The skill bonus is fairly short-term (1min/level).

The spell is also listed as having originated with Gond. If you feel it's too potent to allow freely, limit it only to clerics of Gond.

So far, in my games, I haven't really had problems with players seeking to abuse skill bonuses. There aren't that many skills that can really unbalance like combat bonuses potentially could.

-Rybaer

Madfox

First Post
Wieldskill is a spell and hence should be compared with other divine spells and not with class abilities. One of the main differences for instance between the bards inspire courage and the spell, is that the bard can choose what effect he will take at the moment he starts singing. The cleric has to prepare his spell in advance and he might prepare it for nothing or be forced to replace it with a CLW. Besides with a duration of 1 m/lvl, it will help the PCs only for a very short time span.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Since I don't have the book handy and MoF isn't on-line (that I know of), I could certainly be wrong on this; but doesn't wieldskill grant you a +10 on your next (and only next) skill check for the chosen skill as long as that check is made within the next level minutes?

It seemed kind of like a weak truestrike for skills sort of thing. Then again, I mainly use it for the weapon profficiency anyway.

Last edited:

Tzarevitch

First Post
Nathan said:
Hi!

Do you also think that the spell wieldskill from MoF is broken compared with other ways to increase skill check results?

wieldskill gives a +10 competence bonus on a skill, it is a 1st-level ability.

inspire competence, the bardic music ability, gives a +2 competence bonus, it is something like a 3rd-level ability but more or less useless if there is cleric in the group.

Psionic shards give also bonuses to skill checks, as far as I can remember up to +10. But this would cost about 400 gp (correct me if I am wrong) much more than a scroll or potion of wieldskill costs.

How do you handle these topics in your campaign?

Nathan

We haven't had a problem. The spell's duration is very short anyway. In the campaign we play in the priests use it as a stopgap when someone else doesn't have the skill. The spell doesn't last long enough to rely on for anything else.

Tzarevitch

Happiest_Sadist

First Post
Maybe with Iajitsu focus (from oriental adventures). It gives you an extra 2d6 damge on your attack. This can be brutal if you cast it on your samuri before a fight. Throw in iajitsu master (feat) and the garunteed winning of initiative could be a problem.

bmcdaniel

Adventurer
Unbalanced

Yes, we found it unbalanced and removed it from the game. Consider that as a first level spell you could make it into a 50gp potion. Having said that, our group thinks that skill ranks are devalued too much by the system anyway.

Brian McDaniel

Nathan

First Post
Okay, I have read the spell description a second time. I think the interpretation that wieldskill gives a bonus on ONE skill check within the spell's duration is right.

So, this spell cannot be used in conjunction with the take-20-rule while inspire competence can.

On the other hand, saying inspire courage cannot be compared with is a spell because inspire courage can be used without preperation cannot be the point: A sorcerer gains his 1st-level spells when a wizard does, i.e. they have spells of the same power at the same levels (later at almost the same level).

Nathan

Madfox

First Post
I did not say that you could not compare the spell with the bardic ability because of the difference in preperation. I said you could not compare them and then gave one main difference between the two.

On a side note, this spell is practically useless with that skill that is so good when you win intitiative. The duration is much too low to cast is previous to combat, except in a few rare circumstances.

Remove ads