D&D 5E Wild Speculation: The "Brand New" Setting will be the developed from the WotC's Founders original campaigns

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
So before y'all tear my theory to shreds (and I know some of y'all will), I will say I know this is very very unlikely. It's just a fun idea I thought of.

Anyway, I've flipped through the past two issues of Dragon+, and realized that for some reason, the D&D team has been interviewing the Wizard of the Coast founders (Peter Adkison, Steve Conard) about their very first D&D campaigns, that were used to inspire the fiction/lore of Dominaria. At first, I thought this was just a fun article they did for Dragon+ to promote the Forgotten Realms Magic Set (and it probably is just that). But then the subject, and more tidbits about those campaigns, came out again in the Dragon+ issue released yesterday.

So that got me thinking; why is the D&D Team interviewing the original WotC founders, who have moved on to other projects (and I think are semi-retired)? It could just be some fun promotion and that's all, but I was struck by how focused the interview is on those very first D&D campaigns. But what other reasons would the D&D Team be so curious in those first campaigns? So curious, that they're even making art and statting up some of the older big-bad villains from those first games?

Which leads to my admittedly hare-brained theory; that the D&D Teams "brand new setting" may actually be a weird amalgamation of a new setting, that is the actually the worlds that the WotC founders did campaigns in, that served as the inspiration for Dominaria. Not only is it a D&D book, but its also collecting interviews, old concept art and documents of the earliest development the WotC founders made when first creating Magic the Gathering. So think not just a unique setting gamebook, but also a collection of old art and design. So kind of a mix between a new setting, and that book D&D: Art and Arcana, with a focus specifically on those very first WotC campaigns! Maybe it is even planned as the release book for D&D's 50th Anniversary.

Now I'll admit, this is mostly just my speculation-brain running wild. But would any of you actually want a book like this, that combines a 5E gamebook with a collection of old concepts and design interviews? This would almost be like what Goodman Games does for the Reincarnated Adventures. Or is this mostly a meh idea?

If some of you have no idea what I'm talking about as you've skipped Dragon+ (understandeable) here are links to those interviews, and the the Adam Lee/Max Dunabr collaboration that provides more context on some of those old campaigns villains.

1632330052466.png
1632330065152.png
1632330086644.png

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think you may be close to something, but I think it point to one of the ''setting that was already presented in 5e will see a new publication under a new format'' being Dominaria? Maybe with a back to basic approach, closer to the world that emerged at first from the world of WotC's founders, as you presented.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I think you may be close to something, but I think it point to one of the ''setting that was already presented in 5e will see a new publication under a new format'' being Dominaria? Maybe with a back to basic approach, closer to the world that emerged at first from the world of WotC's founders, as you presented.

Yeah that's true, I didn't think of that! Makes more sense too, with two Dominaria sets being released next year.

Dire Bare

Legend
So before y'all tear my theory to shreds (and I know some of y'all will), I will say I know this is very very unlikely. It's just a fun idea I thought of.

Anyway, I've flipped through the past two issues of Dragon+, and realized that for some reason, the D&D team has been interviewing the Wizard of the Coast founders (Peter Adkison, Steve Conard) about their very first D&D campaigns, that were used to inspire the fiction/lore of Dominaria. At first, I thought this was just a fun article they did for Dragon+ to promote the Forgotten Realms Magic Set (and it probably is just that). But then the subject, and more tidbits about those campaigns, came out again in the Dragon+ issue released yesterday.

So that got me thinking; why is the D&D Team interviewing the original WotC founders, who have moved on to other projects (and I think are semi-retired)? It could just be some fun promotion and that's all, but I was struck by how focused the interview is on those very first D&D campaigns. But what other reasons would the D&D Team be so curious in those first campaigns? So curious, that they're even making art and statting up some of the older big-bad villains from those first games?

Which leads to my admittedly hare-brained theory; that the D&D Teams "brand new setting" may actually be a weird amalgamation of a new setting, that is the actually the worlds that the WotC founders did campaigns in, that served as the inspiration for Dominaria. Not only is it a D&D book, but its also collecting interviews, old concept art and documents of the earliest development the WotC founders made when first creating Magic the Gathering. So think not just a unique setting gamebook, but also a collection of old art and design. So kind of a mix between a new setting, and that book D&D: Art and Arcana, with a focus specifically on those very first WotC campaigns! Maybe it is even planned as the release book for D&D's 50th Anniversary.

Now I'll admit, this is mostly just my speculation-brain running wild. But would any of you actually want a book like this, that combines a 5E gamebook with a collection of old concepts and design interviews? This would almost be like what Goodman Games does for the Reincarnated Adventures. Or is this mostly a meh idea?

If some of you have no idea what I'm talking about as you've skipped Dragon+ (understandeable) here are links to those interviews, and the the Adam Lee/Max Dunabr collaboration that provides more context on some of those old campaigns villains.

View attachment 144210View attachment 144211View attachment 144212
No worries, hare-brained fan theories are the lifeblood of the intertubes!

While it's possible, I think it's more likely we'll be getting a Dominaria setting. Who knows? Either way, the art and character write-ups in Dragon+ are pretty cool, and I'm glad WotC is doing them!

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
No worries, hare-brained fan theories are the lifeblood of the intertubes!

While it's possible, I think it's more likely we'll be getting a Dominaria setting. Who knows? Either way, the art and character write-ups in Dragon+ are pretty cool, and I'm glad WotC is doing them!
unlikely we are getting something not magic sooner or later.

Remove ads