Wild Spellcraft

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Formerly an Natural 20 Press Product
In traditional legends, magic has always been a force that granted great power, but which carried risk in its use. For those who appreciate this uncertainty and desire to let magic be something mystical and untamable, something more than just an entry on the spells per day table, Natural 20 Press and Mystic Eye Games present Wild Spellcraft. Wild Spellcraft provides game masters with a toolkit for including the unpredictable forces of magic in their game with whatever depth and complexity they want. Ranging from rules for spells gone awry to prestige classes for those who try to master magic in its rawest, most chaotic form, Wild Spellcraft is designed to be modular, to fit into your game in individual pieces or in its entirety.

Please note that this product is produced by Natural 20 Press, a part of EN World. Please bear this in mind when reading these reviews; please also be aware that EN Worlds staff reviewers will NOT be reviewing Natural 20 Press products for obvious reasons.

Tuerny

First Post
Just as a note, I was formerly one of the house reviewers for ENWorld, publisher of Wild Spellcraft.

Wild Spellcraft, a sixty-five page .pdf, is the first product to be released under ENWorld’s Natural 20 Press imprint. Written by Ryan Nock it is designed to introduce the concept of wild magic, or "wild spellcraft" as they call it (probably to avoid copyright infringement), into the d20 system.
It is a success.

The Document

Wild Spellcraft is divided into four chapters and two appendices. The first chapter introduces the basis of wild spellcraft: the wild spellcraft template. The second chapter discusses wild spellcraft in the campaign. The third chapter introduces advanced wild spellcraft features, including prestige classes, feats, and some sample characters. The book is rounded out with a chapter on wild spellcraft spells and two appendices that present the OGL and an optional exotic wild spellcraft effects table.

The format of the product is probably its weakest feature. In some cases it is not clear where one section ends and another begins. This can be confusing at times, but does not detract exceptionally from the overall product.

The Content

Wild Spellcraft beings its in-depth exposition on using wild spellcraft in the campaign with a list of ten different ways it can be used. This simple set of ideas sets the tone for the entire book, providing what is probably one of the best toolkit-style books yet to be produced under the d20 system.

The basis for Natural 20 press’s version of wild spellcraft centers on three central standards:
1. The ability (or curse) of being able to tap into wild spellcraft is mechanically based around a template that may be applied to spellcasters or magical object.
2. Wild spellcraft results from failing a roll when casting a spell.
3. Any sort of spellcaster can be a wild spellcaster, even those dedicated to the opposition of chaos, like paladins.

Beyond these three standards Wild Spellcraft is entirely what the GM makes of it. It is very centered on utility, giving you the ability to integrate the world with the rules into one seamless whole. Ideas are given that are as varied as having it based on people taking short cuts in rituals to it being based on the disruption caused by the earth-magic based aura of an elf coming in contact with that of a human.

The first chapter introduces the wild spellcraft template and the rules for wild surges. The template is based around the idea that some individuals or objects are cursed, blessed, or have as their inherent nature the ability to occasionally generate a wild surge instead of their normal spell. A roll of a percentile die handles this but options are also given for a flat d20 roll.

The rules on wild surges themselves are very thorough, discussing different types of surges (personal, spell, target, and general), how to repair the damage surges cause, and how to create surges that are appropriate to a campaign. As a further option, an appendix is provided that details a more complex wild surge generation table. I won’t personally use these, preferring the simpler table for ease of use, but its nice that it is there for those who want to use it.

The second chapter talks about wild spellcraft in the game.

The chapter begins with a section on introducing wild spellcraft into your campaign with a variety of different options and ideas of how to do it. These range from simple caster error to it being a result of the build up of the natural entropy that casters tap into to create a magical effect. My personal favorite is the opposing energies theory, which Wild Spellcraft actually expands upon in its sample world. This theory states that each individual race, or spellcaster type, has its own specific aura that they use to draw upon the energies of the world around them. Whenever the aura of one race is affected by the aura of another race the mixture reacts violently resulting in the potential of a surge.

The next thing that the second chapter discusses is the tone and personality of wild magic in your campaign. This is in many ways an expansion on how to make campaign appropriate surges discussed in the first chapter and probably would have been better served as being a part of that. The information it presents is rather thorough, discussing how to use surges in default fantasy, quirky, serious, and horror campaigns.

Reactions to wild sorcery is next, presenting four different ways that wild magic can be viewed for society depending on the rarity of magic and the rarity of wild spellcasters.

Suggestions on role-playing a wild spellcaster follow, including how to make them more unique, how they handle day-to-day affairs, and how to get rid of the wild spellcaster template. As can be expected from a toolkit product such as this, a variety of different options are given for this, most of them relating to the theories behind why wild spellcraft exists in the first place introduced earlier in the chapter. They range from getting properly trained to atoning at the temple of a god of order to get him to cleanse him of it.

The chapter continues with suggestions on wild magic use in the world. Wild magic items are discussed, with most of the information focused on creating them and different types of them. Most of this material isn’t particularly innovative, focusing on things that are fairly obvious like having items that just flat out generate surges, if they are use-activated, or just cause random, annoying effects if they are more constant. This section also reintroduces wild magic zones. The rules for these are a little bit more innovative than the discussion on magic items, and have rules for introducing different types and strengths of zones. Different auras change the strengths of existing wild surges, cause the caster to be afflicted with the wild spellcaster template, or give penalties or bonuses to rolls on the wild surge table. As can be imagined these effects can be mixed and matched, and notes are provided for how they would affect the ECL of an encounter.

A series of option rules are presented after this including a different way to handle the creation of surges, fluctuating caster level caused by wild magic (which some individuals may be familiar with from the second edition handling of wild magic), how to handle mid-duration surges for non-instant spells, more common surges, never predictable surges, school of wild spells, simple surges, surges on supernatural abilities, and wilder wild spells. These optional rules are going to vary in utility for each individual GM, but as a whole they serve well in adding to the usability of the product.

The chapter finishes up with several sample magical worlds. One of them, based on the sympathetic energies idea introduced earlier in the chapter, is gone into in detail while the other four are given summaries detailing how they could work.

The third chapter, Master of Wild Spellcraft, introduces feats for wild spellcasters, two wild spellcasting prestige classes, and three sample wild spellcasters.
The feats include:
· Chaotic Disruption: Allows you to cause a spell you counter to surge instead of flat out being disrupted.
· Enwild Spell: Causes the spell affected by this metamagic feat to automatically surge with a +10 bonus to the roll.
· Reckless Spell: Enables the caster to attempt to trade out one prepared spell for another spell of one level higher maximum. If this fails the caster takes damage and suffers a wild surge.
· Suppress Surge: Enables the caster to suppress the occurrence of a wild surge in exchange for taking damage.

The prestige classes are the pandaemonicist, which revels in the chaos wild spellcraft causes and taps into the chaos for greater powers. On the opposite end of the spectrum is the Sculptor of Chaos, which seeks to gain power through the controlled usage of wild spellcraft.

The three sample characters include a gnome pandaemonicist, a human cleric, and a dwarven shaper of chaos. Each is given an extensive bio and personality overview and is generic enough that they can be used in most campaigns. Unfortunately, their stats, which were included in the Asgard preview of Wild Spellcraft, are missing. The two new magic items that went with them remain.

The fourth chapter talks about wild spells. The new wild spells introduced in this chapter, and those spells from other sources that could be considered wild spells are presented in a class and level based spell list reminiscent of the Player’s Handbook. The spells themselves are largely colorful and appropriate and include such things as Chaos Blast that creates and entirely random damaging effect (generated through a table), Morphic Curse that permanently makes an individual corporeally instable.

The two appendices contain the expanded exotic wild surge tables and the OGL.

Closing Thoughts

Wild Spellcraft is exactly the kind of thing that we need to see more of on the marketplace. Easily customizable toolkits that provide innovative and easily transplantable ideas are useable for almost any GM, providing them with plenty of usage regardless of their campaign style.

Halifax

First Post
I don't buy many PDF book - I pick up Monte Cook's stuff and I have a couple of others. I mainly bought this one because it was published by ENWorld, and I felt like supporting the site.

I don't really have a use for wild magic 2E style, but that's not what this book's about. it doesn't even use the same terminology. Yeah, you *can* use it in that way (sort of) but there are so many options in this book that you can find a use for it no matter what style of magic you use. Personally, I'll be adopting it for use as magic gone wrong.

It's fairly big - 63 pages IIRC. One cool thing is that there's also an attached Word document, with all of the open gaming content in it. Easy to cut and paste the bits you want to use into your own document and print out. The whole thing is very 'toolkit' style, as Tuerny said in the previous review. You can sort of construct your own wild spellcraft 'system' from the various options available. This is a brilliant feature, and one that I hope other companies use!

There's a *lot* of 'how to use wild spellcraft' type stuff in here. Maybe a little more than I'd like, but the author gives so many options and ideas that the book is probably worth $5 from the fluff alone. The mechanics seem to be solid - a wild spellcasting template which can be used by anyone, along with various 'mishap' charts, a couple of prestige classes, a bunch of spells and and optional rules.

I also like the way that the book uses iconic NPCs to illustrate things, and presents their stats in the book (something Wizards should have done with the PHB).

Layout is good, a bit plain at times, but the artwork is nice (except for one full page picture - full page pics in PDFs are pointless). In some places, it's a bit confusing where one section starts and another ends, but on the whole its pretty tidy looking.

I'm not keen on the occasional use of percentile dice instead of a d20 (it's the d20 system!), especially in cases where there are 20 options with 5% increments. It would seem more elegant to use a d20 throughout wherever possible. Some of the optional, more complicated tables at theback obviously need to be percentile based, although I still wonder if it could have been done differently.

Overall, though, this is a great debut from EN World, especially as this was put together by fans and not professional publishers. Go RangerWickett! :)

-P.E.

drnuncheon

Explorer
I don't own the book in question, but the use of percentile dice may have been a deliberate design decision.

In 3e, the percentile dice are used mechanically to represent a roll that cannot/should not be affected by skills, levels, circumstance, or any other modifiers. Making it a d20 roll would ipso facto open it up to all sorts of mucking about that the author didn't intend.

Halifax

First Post
Yeah, there's a shaded box in there which says exactly that. Although there are optional rules which allow the d% roll to be modified.

KDLadage

Explorer
updated on 22-NOV-02

Ryan Nock launches the Natural 20 Press imprint with an excellent product. Wild Spellcraft had a lot of weight on its shoulders: as the first product of the new imprint, it needed to make a statement about the quality and value that this new imprint can achieve; it needed to be very, very good -- not just good -- to ensure to a future customer base that this is not an imprint to ignore. It needed to say "This is not your ordinary fan-work here. It is a professional quality product." And it succeeds.

THE GOOD
Wild Spellcraft covers some really fun territory. As the primary author of the Umbragia setting, I have to winder what my volume on Arcane Spellcasters would have looked like had I seen this book before I wrote mine. I may have gone in some very different directions.

The book has new spells, new classes and a new feel for your current, standard magic using types. It covers things in a very balanced and even handed way. For d20 writers, it also includes an RTF file that holds all of the Open Content so that it can easily be cut-and-pasted into a new d20 product. Very handy... I hope other d20 publishers are watching, as this is an excellent idea. The book is fairly meaty. The writing is in a very readable prose style that accentuates the material well. Several areas of the book spend time describing how one could use the book -- including a very cool TOP-TEN-style listing at the beginning. Overall, I highly recommend getting this book.

THE BAD
There are some short-comings, but they are more subjective rather than objective quality-related issues. For example:
  • I feel that the lack of columns was a mistake. It makes reading the book a bit of a chore. As one reviewer put it, if the book were primarily meant to be read on-screen, this is not a problem. But I think most people will want to print it out.
  • I feel that, although the artwork and layout are excellent, the borders are a bit wide and the artwork a bit too prominent. This results in a book that is nearly 5MB of download.... more than 5 times the size of the PDF files I have created for Umbragia... and the word count for the Umbragia PDFs is higher. Again, this is not such a bad thing -- I feel that the look of the Wild Spellcraft book is much better (in the end) than the Umbragia volumes. But the size will be a turn-off for some buyers. Perhaps d20 Press could offer a bare-bones version sans artwork... or just sell the Open Content file at a slight discount...
  • The use of d% when the roll can be modified was, in my opinion, a mistake. One of the elements of the d20 system is that d% rolls are never modified. Most of these rolls could have easily been changed to 20-sided dice (especially since the majority of the range brackets are in 5% increments) -- again, this was brought up by another reviewer as well.

THE SKINNY
But these are very, very minor issues. The book is an excellent buy. It was five dollars that I consider very, very well spent. God Job guys! I think it is evident that you will be taken seriously.

Psion

Adventurer
I agree that the doc really needs columns. Badly. I understand the thought process that went into that decision (that it would be easier for screen-readers), but it was a bad call. Screen readers are outnumbered by people who print the docs out from what I have seen. And even I, a laptop-toting screen reader who never prints anything out if I can avoid it (takes too much space!) strongly prefer columns.

That said, I must really take issue with your criticism of the use of modifiers to percentile rolls. The D&D guidelines regarding perctage rolls applies to percentages chances. Essentially what we have here is a table. However, he might have been able to pull it off with d20s by dividing the table ranges and modifiers by five, but the effects of the modifiers might not come out right (but it might have made me more comfortable, as I find smaller tables easier to use). Had his effect tables been divided into finer categories, I wouldn't have taken umbrage with him using modifiers to a roll on a percentile table.

And people claim that I obsess on minor points of the rules. :)

darkpact

First Post
I just bought Wild Spellcraft, because I was interessted in new ways of magic and I never played anything like 2E wild magic. Looking at the first pages of the PDF I realized what potential this book has. I stoped everything else and couldn't finished after the last page.

Thumps Up:
This book is very well written. As a non-native speaker I have sometimes problems with the construct and words some other online products use, but this one is great written and can easily be thrown into the international market.
The contents is about 98% open. That's a high percentage. I hadn't expected this from anything before, so I was really surprised.
It's so easy to use almost everything in this for almost any campaign.

Thumps Down:
The longer I think the harder it gets to find something I don't like. Instead I will introduce this kind of magic into my campaign as soon as possible.

For the first release of Natural 20 Press it's perfect to show at what you are aiming. So I believe the quality will rise with the next product.

I always loved Wild Mages in the old editions and even though I've had my own thoughts on the conversion for some time, I awaited this release with interest. It hadn't quite peaked my interest as much as Mongoose's Chaos Sorcery and Wild Spellcraft did but as it turned out these products are not really comparable. If you - like I do - prefer a more grim and gritty feel to magic, I recommend you check out Mongoose's work first. You shouldn't necessarily leave this product alone though. Let's look at why....

Wild Spellcraft definitely sets out to convert all the aspects that made the old Tome of Magic Wild Mage so well loved. It's an easy read, the prose is in a light and easy tone, the sentences kept fairly simple and the book doesn't take itself too seriously, which is a good thing. Wild Mages are presented as a template - Wild Spellcaster - which allows for great flexibility. The template - definitely the heart of the book - is well done and well thought out. If you go by standard 3E logic - it's not completely balanced because of its randomness - but if you like Wild Mages, you won't care! The authors have introduced different levels of mishaps (good ol' wild surges) to minimise the unbalancing aspects that these can bring to your game and I'm confident they are nothing a well-prepared DM can't handle. I did miss a lot of the old Wild Magic spells, however. A shame the authors didn't feel like converting Wildstrike, Wildwind and Vortex for instance. There's a good deal of nice spells in the supplement, however, and die-hard Wild Mage fans probably converted the spells not included in the book already. All in all, this is a minor gripe....

Pdf products are difficult to measure against real books - and it's a shame they don't have their own separate rankings on this site IMO. If you rank this product against superb magical supplements like Magic of Faerûn it doesn't even come close in overall product usability and quality - but such comparisons are not valid. Compared to other pdfs, this supplement holds its ground very well. It is definitely one of the best pdfs out there. There's still a long way to go to reach the quality of the Books of Eldritch Might and for the time being, it seems that Malhavoc Press will remain in a league of their own.

If you are interested in Wild Magic, you should buy this supplement. If you like good quality game material at very cheap prices, you should also buy this supplement. A good start for Natural 20 Press, let's hope the Superheroes supplement will take them one step further upwards....

-Zarrock

Halifax

First Post
"A shame the authors didn't feel like converting Wildstrike, Wildwind and Vortex for instance."

One would assume that they didn't "feel like" getting sued...

If you look through the book, you'll see that there is nothing directly converted from WotC's property. There could be a reason for that, y'know. ;)

Remove ads