D&D 5E Wilderness Exploration according to the core rulebooks of 5e

FallenRX

Adventurer
I was just going over this stuff a day or two ago.

1. The 5e authors have no idea what a 'gallop' is. :) 10 miles in an hour for a horse is fairly ok, but it'd be a mix of walk + canter, or maybe a trot. A gallop is much like a human sprint; you don't sprint for an hour.

2. The wilderness encounter sytem started working for me once I went over to 1 week long rests. Rolling daily encounters with overnight recovery feels pointless. If the PCs need to risk several encounters before a LR, it works.
Yea that how i felt basically, it only works with Gritty Realism, where you have to fight to your long rest. Though my issue with gritty realism, comes in dungeon crawls or more intensive campaigns, where its simply too slow. I usually try to pair it with a mechanic that allows temporary normally resting but at a cost.

I also had an idea for slow natural healing by itself, but you only gain 1 hit dice at the long of a long rest, and you only get half on a full days rest.

The correct answer though is just play Level up 5e. Or make rations/water work like supplies from Level up 5E, and change all the spells that subvert exploration to Level up 5e.

S'mon

Legend
Yea that how i felt basically, it only works with Gritty Realism, where you have to fight to your long rest. Though my issue with gritty realism, comes in dungeon crawls or more intensive campaigns, where its simply too slow.

I keep short rests unchanged, max 3/day, so a 1 day dungeon crawl is unchanged.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases