• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wildwood Red in Tooth and Claw [OOC]

Voadam

Legend
Pyrex said:
Quick question: You've got some conflicting information in this thread and in the recruiting thread.

In the recruiting thread you call out adding BaseRefSave to AC as a defense bonus.

At the top of this thread you mention increasing Dex bonus to AC by BaseRefSave.

Which is correct? I'm curious because the second option totally obsoletes light and medium armor for characters with a Good Ref save progression.

Sorry for the vague wording in the recruitment thread. The defense bonus is a stacking dex bonus as described in the ooc thread here. Max dex limitations on armor apply.

Implications are that armor is not as necessary for a good AC, which in a setting where metal armor is not generally found means a competitive AC can be maintained. It also favors high reflex classes (rangers, bards, rogues) as nimble dodgers in combat while Fighters are left with mostly normal D&D AC. Note that armor is still useful for when you are denied your dex, such as when flat-footed, fighting invisible foes, and when your opponent feints.

Note that the defense bonus from other systems such as the Unearthed Arcana Defense Bonus don't stack with armor at all. In Wheel of Time its the same way though their armsman class has a class ability to stack the two bonuses IIRC.

Voadam

Legend
Voidrazor said:
Just looked through Deads Not Words and would like to scrap the Psion in favor of a Mechanoid Armor Adept. If this is OK, is it possible to exchange some amount of the 48 point buy for EPs?

I'll look through my copy of Deeds Not Words later, but I recall corresponding with the author and comparing the power disparities of the fighter and rogue classes in DNW with D&D as they immediately jumped out at me. The DNW classes, similar to Iron Heroes, are designed to balance with a no magic item default assumption making the classes stronger on their own than core ones and need to be toned down if adapted to a D&D game. Unlike Iron Heroes he did not provide guidance for this in DNW.

If you are serious about this concept I will check it out and get back to you. Off the top of my head I don't remember any details about that class so I can't comment on its specifics.

Mithran

First Post
I think I've decided on a Gestalt Rogue/Psywarrior who was a palace guard before the crows. Probably going for Psychic Weapon Master (If that's alright) in the end, playing up the character's attachment to their ceremonial crystal weapon from their old life. I'll try to get it up by tonight, but I may not.

Voidrazor

First Post
A toned down version, or another class paired with the Mechanoid race would be fine. I really like the idea of a big robot trapped on a primitive world though. If I do go with a weaker Armor Adept, one way I'd like to have it toned down would be to replace the suit HPs and some or all of the DR with regular d20 AC. Having the suit get totaled due to HP loss in the first fight would really suck, since no replacement would be available. "Sorry about your class features dude :eek: ".

Voadam

Legend
Mithran said:
I think I've decided on a Gestalt Rogue/Psywarrior who was a palace guard before the crows. Probably going for Psychic Weapon Master (If that's alright) in the end, playing up the character's attachment to their ceremonial crystal weapon from their old life. I'll try to get it up by tonight, but I may not.

Sounds good. I'm not familiar with the psychic weapon master though. If it is a freebie on the web then post a link and I will check it out, or if it is in my sources let me know which one.

Pyrex

First Post
Voadam said:
The defense bonus is a stacking dex bonus as described in the ooc thread here. Max dex limitations on armor apply.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm definately going with the PsyWar/Soulknife gestalt I posted above, I'm currently vacillating between Human and Elan for the race. I should have a draft character posted today or tomorrow.

Mithran

First Post
Psychic Weapon Master is free on the Wizards site here. I just remembered you don't give out xp, so the Weapon Master's upgrade ability doesn't exactly work. I'd forgotten about that.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Kularian,

Ability stats look right for 40 point buy tiefling. AC looks right. Feats check.

Languages: Include speak language among the skills. Depending on background I would allow either common or infernal as a starting language depending on background (planar/planescape background tiefling would be infernal while mortal raised one would be common). So two skill points for speak infernal and speak dover.

I think you still come up a little short on skill points. I count 26 total and with ranger (6 base) and 12 int (+1) I think it should come out to 28 at the x4 level 1.

Voadam

Legend
dog 45.

Looks like you still have some skill points left as well for the dwarven ranger.

Players if you can break down the skills by ranks, mods, and total that would be helpful to me in checking over your characters.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads