Will I regret not pre-ordering? (Concerning overall cost of the books)

Eyada

First Post
Edit- Ugh. Apologies for posting this in the wrong section.

As the title indicates, I'm concerned about the repercussions of not pre-ordering. Since my town lacks a FLGS, I'm going to order the Core Rulebooks via the Internet (probably from Amazon.com or somesuch.) However, I currently lack the money necessary to pre-order the books. As it turns out, I won't receive my next paycheck until the week after 4E is launched. Would it be worth my while to go through all the trouble of borrowing money off someone (friend, family member, etc) to pre-order the Core Rulebooks?

To put it simply: Amazon.com lists the 4E Core Rulebook Boxed Set as $57.72 if you pre-order. It says the list price is $104.95. Am I going to end up paying twice as much for 4E if I don't preorder?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Kordeth

First Post
No--"list price" is what Amazon thinks the standard retail price on the product is, so you can see how much you're saving by shopping with them. Amazon is not going to double the price in the next week.

william_nova

Explorer
You will never pay the MSRP for the books from Amazon. The price you see there, the $57.72, is the standard price as of now. It's not likely to go up very much once the books hit the stores.

Re: pre orders, there was a pre order discount that amounted to an additional 3 or 4% on top of the 45% they are currently offering. It was something you only saw once you put the item into the shopping cart and went to the checkout with it. That you will be missing out on. As a matter of fact, you have already missed out on it, as I no longer see it showing up on the product page.

So while I can't say with 100% certainty that the price won't go up a little, it shouldn't amount to more than 5% or so once the books hit the stores. Amazon regularly offers discounts of over 25% on popular books, as an example, the 3.5 core rulebook is being offered currently for 34% off MSRP.

malraux

First Post
33% discount is pretty typical of all WotC books sold on amazon. The core books might go up a bit, but not all the way to MSRP.

Remove ads