• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 will they nerf the *T* spell for 3.5?

hong

WotC's bitch
Grog said:
What about Wish? It costs 5,000 XP to cast and they nerfed it basically into uselesness in 3E.

Except for the XP cost and some codified uses, wish is exactly what it's always been in (A)D&D: a way for a high-level wizard to break the rules. Since what comes out of the wish is entirely under the DM's control, it can be either the most powerful spell EVAR, or the most dangerous one. Possibly both, depending on how the DM is feeling on the night.

Skaros

First Post
kreynolds said:

They already did (Skip, anyway).

Actually, I have to admit that I already knew about Skip's ruling on that...and I would play it that way if I ever really really wanted to waste time on bringing Elminster into my FR campaign.

Its just that around the same time those initial rulings were coming out, I had sent an email to sage advice and got this response:

There will be no errata, when a time stop happens, Elminster just keeps
moving, that is all, (the spell still works, he just doesn't stop moving)

Steve
Wizards of the Coast - Game Support

Carry on,

Skaros

Gog

First Post
Well. not to start this again, but that's not the Sage, it's customer support, and they are a waste of time.

Steve
Wizards of the Coast - Game Support

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
hong said:
IMO just about every 9th level spell is too broken to try to fix. The exceptions are meteor swarm, which should really be an 8th level spell, and monster summoning IX, which is pretty superfluous anyway.

Err - speaking as someone whose PCs are using 9th lvl spells, I'll humbly disagree with this. :)

Cloudgatherer

First Post
I agree that TS is a problematic spell. Especially if someone can hurl multiple 9th level spells.

In an epic game I'm in, I purposefully did not take TS. I figure if I don't go around locking people in time, then it probably won't happen to me :).

Given that haste has been reduced in usefulness for spellcasters, I'd expect TS to be severely toned down as well....

FireLance

Legend
One way to reduce the effectiveness of Time Stop while allowing it to retain its effectiveness as a 9th-level spell is to rule that direct attack spells (spells with an instantaneous or permanent duration, or which allow targets a single saving throw to avoid or reduce the effect) take effect during the Time Stop. As such, the caster can only affect himself with these spells.

Time Stop is thus useful as a buffing spell, or to give the caster time to heal, or to set up nasty environmental conditions such as Acid Cloud, Bigby's Crushing Hand and Cloudkill.

Fenes 2

First Post
hong said:

Yeah, but I'm a lazy and stupid DM.

I would rephrase it as "I prefer to spend my preparation time on other things than wracking my brain over how to deal with a host of high-level spells in the next adventure."

I have no doubt that I could deal with all those high-level spells, but it would be a chore for me, not fun. I spend 4 to 6 hours a week preparing my campaigns - I will not spend that time on something I don't enjoy, preparing a game style I don't enjoy either.

Remove ads