Wind Walk and magic items

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
This question came up in our game last night. A character had wind walk cast upon them, and wanted to use one of his magic items. (Specifically the change self power of a Robe of Blending).

Although the SRD doesn't have a description of the "gaseous form" state, I remember that it said that though your armor is absorbed, you still retain things like magic delfection bonuses, which implies that your magic items still work to some extent. The wind walk text (given below from the SRD) says that you cannot cast spells, but says nothing about magic items.

We ruled that you can still activate "use-activated" items, but not "spell completion" items while in wind walk, but it would be nice if there were an actual rule about how magic items interact with gaseous-form-ness. Does anyone know if there is such a rule?

thanks!

Sagiro

(Wind Walk text from the SRD):
The character alters the substance of the character's body to a cloudlike vapor and move through the air, possibly at great speed. The character can take other creatures with the character, each of which acts independently.

A magical wind wafts a wind walker along at up to 600 feet per round (60 mph) or as slow as 5 feet per round (1/2 mph), as the walker wills. Wind walkers are not invisible but rather appear misty and translucent. If fully clothed in white, they are 80% likely to be mistaken for clouds, fog, vapors, etc.

A wind walker can regain her physical form as desired and later resume the cloud form. Each change to and from vaporous form requires 5 rounds. The character, however, may dismiss the spell, ending it immediately. The character may even dismiss it for individual wind walkers and not others. While in vaporous form, subjects gain damage reduction 20/+1, though they may sustain damage from high winds (as determined by the DM). No spellcasting is possible in vaporous form.

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
I don't think you should be able to use magic items while in gaseous form. I would rule that you have to go out of gaseous form to make use of any magic items.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
I just read Wind Walk, Gaseous Form, and the MM entry on gaseous form for creatures. It looks to me like your items, and their effects generally remain active. I suspect that you cannot talk (it says no verbal spells) so that would rule out command-word activated items.

If does not specifically say that you lose you magic items, though it does say that you lose supernatural abilities. Since it seems clear that a creature retains it's spell-like abilities in gaseous form, I would have to let the characters do the same so long as it did not violate any written rules. By spell-like abilities for characters, I would mean spells (without components) and magic items (again that do not require a physical form or voice to activate).

Last edited:

dcollins

Explorer
Having read the particular item's ability (critically), I would actually allow this -- only because the ability is listed as "at will" to trigger. If it were a "command word", I would definitely not allow it.

Remove ads