WOIN [WION] A couple of questions

A Lone Chocobo

First Post
So, I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the Cleric and their secrets- do they get all of the secrets related to their deities portfolio, or is it like every other magic user and they need to focus down exploits to get more- or pick them up elsewhere?

The second question is how I would build 7th Sea Magic in the WION system? If you don't know what the magic is like, the magic is primarily based off of royal bloodline, where different magic depends on the heritage- Vodacce (Italians) have fate witches, which control the fates of others through strings, while the Montaigne (French) have something like a teleportation magic- they open up portals by letting blood and tearing a hole through reality.

I guess another question is what I would use to build sailing ships- N.O.W?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's weird. I definitely answered this this morning, and my reply has vanished. Anyway, here goes again...

Deity portfolios only tell you what secrets you are allowed to choose - they don't give them to you for free.

I'm not familiar with 7th Sea magic, but from what you're describing they sound like they would be careers like the Firemage, Necromancer, etc.

There aren't any rules for sailing ships yet. There are starship rules and vehicle rules, but not sailing ship rules. I suspect you could modify either for sailing ships.

A Lone Chocobo

First Post
That's weird. I definitely answered this this morning, and my reply has vanished. Anyway, here goes again...

Deity portfolios only tell you what secrets you are allowed to choose - they don't give them to you for free.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up.

I'm not familiar with 7th Sea magic, but from what you're describing they sound like they would be careers like the Firemage, Necromancer, etc.

After thinking on it, that actually makes a lot of sense. Especially when I re-read through N.O.W. and saw that some martial artists careers can give exploits. I'll probably create a bunch of exploits for the fate witch to take, along with a couple of other exploits. Thanks for that. Maybe throw it a tarot card reading skill too.

Another one of the big things about Fate Magic is the fact that fate doesn't like you messing with her strands. In the game, the mechanic is that you gain something called a lash for every time you use fate magic. What this does is essentially lock you from using a certain number when building a dice pool- 5 lashes mean you can't use anything lower than 5 when building a success. pool. (7th Sea is a D10 dice pool system, where you roll Attribute + Skill and try and get sets of 10)

How would you go about porting that over? Maybe with the countdown mechanic- every time you use fate magic you have to roll countdown and once it's up you can't use magic and you have a dice penalty? Or maybe I could bring the whole thing over and change it a little bit- like instead of being unable to use a certain number it actually takes away dice?

There aren't any rules for sailing ships yet. There are starship rules and vehicle rules, but not sailing ship rules. I suspect you could modify either for sailing ships.

I'll probably use the vehicle rules then, since I have N.O.W. Thanks!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Another one of the big things about Fate Magic is the fact that fate doesn't like you messing with her strands. In the game, the mechanic is that you gain something called a lash for every time you use fate magic. What this does is essentially lock you from using a certain number when building a dice pool- 5 lashes mean you can't use anything lower than 5 when building a success. pool. (7th Sea is a D10 dice pool system, where you roll Attribute + Skill and try and get sets of 10)

How would you go about porting that over?

Blimey. Hmmm. Let me think.

I don't quite grok what that core mechanic is, so it's a little tricky, but it's a point system which at certain levels limits your die rolls?

In that case, maybe it reduces your max dice pool? Say every time you criticise when spell casting, your max dice pool goes down by 1d6.

I assume there's some kind of recovery mechanic for that in 7th Sea?

A Lone Chocobo

First Post
Blimey. Hmmm. Let me think.

I don't quite grok what that core mechanic is, so it's a little tricky, but it's a point system which at certain levels limits your die rolls?

In that case, maybe it reduces your max dice pool? Say every time you criticise when spell casting, your max dice pool goes down by 1d6.

I assume there's some kind of recovery mechanic for that in 7th Sea?

There is a limit to what you can roll, it's kind of like VtM or Exalted in that it maxes out at 5 ranks for both stats and skills. If you mean Fate Magic and how the lashes work, what happens is when you get a certain amount of lashes you cannot use dice reading that number or below when you are building sets of ten. 5 lashes means when you are building a set of 10, any dice that read 5 or below can't be used.

Sorry if it seems if I am repeating myself, but I don't quite understand what you mean.

As for recovering from the lashes, there are two ways, in fact. You either:

1. Pay in Blood. That means if you want to get rid of a single lash, you take a number of wounds equal to the amount of lashes you have. So, an example would be you have 5 lashes, so you take 5 damage- now you have 4 lashes left. I would imagine if I ported this over it would simply be a Xd6 amount of damage for every lash you have. Maybe I don't have to change it at all.
  2. Pay in Misfortune. Getting rid of a lash this way means you give the GM a Danger Point. (It's like a benny from Savage Worlds or Doom from Conan)

What do you mean by criticise?

dekrass

Explorer
Maybe you could build the fate witch exploits to use luck dice on activation. Luck can be seen as a representation of fate. Mechanically this would have the effect of removing dice that potentially add to rolls or reduce damage taken.

M3woods

Explorer
I'm not overly familiar with 7th Sea but I consider myself slightly versed in WOIN. In my opinion, the beauty of WOIN is its species/career system for character design. Between those two elements nearly any other setting can be realized when you consider what the narrative of the thing looks like. From what I've managed to glean from the little I can find online Fate Magic is only available to royal Vordacce females and practioners are called Sorte Strega. So, you have a heritage (Vordacce), an Origin (Noble), and a Career (Sorte Strega, or Fate Witch).

Any one of those might list an exploit called Secrets of Fate, with appropriate prerequistes (noble-borne, Vordacce, Female.) The skill used to access this secret might simply be called Weaving. And, since Fate is very similar to Luck, you could do as dekrass suggests and require LUCK to be tied to the use of Fate Magic. Lashes might represent the depletion of one's own pool of Luck.

Secrets of Fate. You gain the Secrets of Fate, allowing you the ability to see and manipulate the strands of Fate that connect all living things. When weaving fate, you use your LUCk attribute instead of your MAGIC attribute for checks. But, the Secrets of Fate don't come without a cost. For every 5 MP a Fate Witch spends toward effecting the strands, they lose 1 die from their own LUCK reserves. Luck may be regained only by paying a price of blood or misfortune.

Blood Payment. You take 1d6 damage from your HEALTH and regain 1 LUCK die.

Misfortune's Fee. When you choose to use LUCK dice during an Attribute Check you instead remove a die from your final Dice Pool. You regain 1 LUCK die at the end of the round.

But, that's merely my interpretation of the Fate Witch. I try to keep things simple and as close to current mechanics as possible.

A Lone Chocobo

First Post
I'm not overly familiar with 7th Sea but I consider myself slightly versed in WOIN. In my opinion, the beauty of WOIN is its species/career system for character design. Between those two elements nearly any other setting can be realized when you consider what the narrative of the thing looks like. From what I've managed to glean from the little I can find online Fate Magic is only available to royal Vordacce females and practioners are called Sorte Strega. So, you have a heritage (Vordacce), an Origin (Noble), and a Career (Sorte Strega, or Fate Witch).

Any one of those might list an exploit called Secrets of Fate, with appropriate prerequistes (noble-borne, Vordacce, Female.) The skill used to access this secret might simply be called Weaving. And, since Fate is very similar to Luck, you could do as dekrass suggests and require LUCK to be tied to the use of Fate Magic. Lashes might represent the depletion of one's own pool of Luck.

Secrets of Fate. You gain the Secrets of Fate, allowing you the ability to see and manipulate the strands of Fate that connect all living things. When weaving fate, you use your LUCk attribute instead of your MAGIC attribute for checks. But, the Secrets of Fate don't come without a cost. For every 5 MP a Fate Witch spends toward effecting the strands, they lose 1 die from their own LUCK reserves. Luck may be regained only by paying a price of blood or misfortune.

Blood Payment. You take 1d6 damage from your HEALTH and regain 1 LUCK die.

Misfortune's Fee. When you choose to use LUCK dice during an Attribute Check you instead remove a die from your final Dice Pool. You regain 1 LUCK die at the end of the round.

But, that's merely my interpretation of the Fate Witch. I try to keep things simple and as close to current mechanics as possible.

That is actually really good. I might use that. The rest of the magic from might follow the same course then, being tied to careers rather than the actual magic system. Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases