WIR S1 Tomb of Horrors [SPOILERS!! SPOILERS EVERYWHERE!!]‏

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Treasure xp is half the normal, (1xp per 2gp value), so without defeating Acererak’s skull, the total xp value of this tomb raid is 152,895 xp. Defeating the skull adds 100,000 xp to the total, for 252,895 xp. So 150K or 250K xp to be split among the surviving characters. (Six surviving characters = 25,483 or 42,149 xp each. For reference: a 12th level fighter needs 250,ooo xp for 13th level; a magic-user needs 375,000 xp.)

Compare all of this to the total gp and xp that can be earned in Hall of the Fire Giant King (the adventure of equivalent level): 1 million gp, 1.6 million xp — 3.5 times more gp, and 10.6 or 6.4 times more xp.
Looking at those numbers it really is baffling why you'd need to halve the xp for the treasure. Maybe it's because it's such an early module, but now it just makes the Tomb look cheapskate. Especially when so few parties ever get the full price.

What about the solid gold couch, adamantite doors, mithril valves and doors and vault?

Last edited:

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Something to keep in mind about the xp totals - the module was originally written for OD&D, which had smaller xp requirements to level up past name level than AD&D. It's possible the xp suggestion is a hold over, and may be less stingy than it seems.

Given the difficulty of the dungeon, I personally see no reason to not give full xp per gp recovered, however. I would possibly give double xp, depending on the performance of the players.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
What about the solid gold couch, adamantite doors, mithril valves and doors and vault?
My numbers include the gold couch because the module gives a gp value, (it apparently is intended to be treasure). But I don't include the various Tomb structural pieces, as there is no gp value for them, (they apparently are not intended to be treasure).

To my knowledge, there is no gp value for adamantite or mithril in any AD&D1 book. It would be interesting to calculate the doors' value, though.

Bullgrit

FoxWander

Adventurer
To my knowledge, there is no gp value for adamantite or mithril in any AD&D1 book. It would be interesting to calculate the doors' value, though.

Bullgrit

Well the VALVES OF MITHRAL are easy, they have a cost per pound listed. They're 14' tall x 28' wide x 3' thick so 1,176 cubic feet. 1 cubic foot of steel weighs 490 lbs. Mithral is half the weight of steel, 245 lbs per cu. ft..

1176 x 245 = 288,120 lbs of mithral

288,120 x 500 gp/lb. = 144,060,000 gp! :eek: Holy Schnikes!

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
288,120 x 500 gp/lb. = 144,060,000 gp! :eek: Holy Schnikes!
That would be well worth all of the trouble actually.

But I don't think that's a 1st edition price. Sounds like 3rd to me. I don't think they had specific prices for them back in 1E. Mithral was simply woven into armor to make it +4 and adamantite made +5 armor (and +3 armors were considered meteorite steel, which sounds really odd now).

But if the price is even close to that same ballpark, bazinga.

Stoat

Adventurer
Bullgrit calculates a total of 252,895 exp available in the module.

If Mithril is worth only 1 gp a pound, and Foxwander's calculations are correct, the doors would be worth 288,120 exp.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Bullgrit calculates a total of 252,895 exp available in the module.

If Mithril is worth only 1 gp a pound, and Foxwander's calculations are correct, the doors would be worth 288,120 exp.
Good point. We can then safely say that the Tomb is the treasure. :p

Wait, that means that the vault where the final treasure and all the equipment is, is worth more than everything in it and the Tomb.

:eek:

Last edited:

Here we are at the final encounter. I thought I would have some brilliant, scathing put-down that would expose the Tomb as arbitrary, cockamamie, and overrated.

But instead, I've got nothing.

I mean, one of the spells you can use to buy yourself a round against the demilich is... forget. What can I possibly say that is more insulting than that?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Stoat said:
Half the xp for gp. So 144,060 xp. Still...

jonesy said:
Wait, that means that the vault where the final treasure and all the equipment is, is worth more than everything in it and the Tomb.
And it is completely untrapped.

Bullgrit

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I mean, one of the spells you can use to buy yourself a round against the demilich is... forget. What can I possibly say that is more insulting than that?
Yeah, but how exactly is the mage supposed to use the spell? Acererak strikes instantaneously, and then sinks back down on his own. What's the point where using the spell makes any sense?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases