Witcher (Netflix)

CapnZapp

Legend
Sounds like the show probably will lose you at some point.

Tbh, if you can only rank the entirety of season 1 at a 2/5, the show just isn’t for you, IMO.
Did you know "it's not for you" is sometimes used as code for "we don't want to admit the flaws of the show or discuss how it can be improved"? :)

I love fantasy on TV. I think the premise had great potential, and maybe still does.

I just wish they realized Ciri is mostly just padding in season 1, and kept from casting her until they gave the character more to do. Travelling from A to B is possibly the most cliché and overused and boring plot line of all fantasy.

More in general, the Witcher is trash television. Of the best kind, mind you!

I maintain that episode 3 is the show Netflix should have aimed for. A well-told self-contained monster story for Geralt, body horror and power moves for Yennefer, and very little Ciri. It's guilty pleasure television, and it's great! The show would have been better off imho if didn't take itself so damn seriously and instead went all in on blood, tits and glory, leaving the pompous storylines for another, more high-brow, show.

But thanks for the heads up. You may well be right. I mean, it's not as if great shows taking a nose dive for their second season is unheard of...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Did you know "it's not for you" is sometimes used as code for "we don't want to admit the flaws of the show or discuss how it can be improved"? :)

Mod Note:

The insinuation that while you are here out of a simple desire to critique, folks who don't agree with you aren't... is very conveniently dismissive and is not acceptable. By making it personal, you've earned yourself a ticket out of the thread.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

I love fantasy on TV. I think the premise had great potential, and maybe still does.

I just wish they realized Ciri is mostly just padding in season 1, and kept from casting her until they gave the character more to do. Travelling from A to B is possibly the most cliché and overused and boring plot line of all fantasy.

More in general, the Witcher is trash television. Of the best kind, mind you!

I maintain that episode 3 is the show Netflix should have aimed for. A well-told self-contained monster story for Geralt, body horror and power moves for Yennefer, and very little Ciri. It's guilty pleasure television, and it's great! The show would have been better off imho if didn't take itself so damn seriously and instead went all in on blood, tits and glory, leaving the pompous storylines for another, more high-brow, show.

But thanks for the heads up. You may well be right. I mean, it's not as if great shows taking a nose dive for their second season is unheard of...
In this case, it isn’t code for anything.

You’re mistaking your preferences for an indication of quality.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
2022 purportedly. Wife was bummed. Not exact info, but when she heard the news, it was much longer than a year.

Makes sense. I know I had heard it would take some time, and that was pre-pandemic. That is a bit of a bummer.

Remove ads