Witcher (Netflix)

Question on season 2-burnt face guy and the guy with owl.are they working with each other and are they working for someone else. How closely does this follow the books

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Finished watching the second season with my wife. Quite enjoyed it. Only complaint was that we went to watch more and realized we reached the end of the season.

It's no spoiler to reiterate what others have said about how much we enjoyed Ciri this season.

It might be a touch of a spoiler, but Lambert is a bit of donkey.

And poor, poor Jaskier - what bet did you lose to have to wear that hairstyle?

CapnZapp

Legend
The "power politics" of the mages are excruciatingly superficial and cliched.

The "dark fairy tale" aspects of the Witcher, on the other hand, are well done. And FINALLY Ciri gets something to do; which combined with her actress finally being allowed to show some grit, means the Ciri portions aren't interminably dull like in Season 1.

So. Yennefers story is much more dull than her "coming of age" arc in S1, but Ciri is much less dull than in S1.

That makes a wash. The show should still have focused on what works, and left the naff power intrigues on the cutting room floor.

What exactly is working then? The best answer is "look at the games", but if you haven't played them, a reductive answer like "The Witcher and the monster of the week" will have to do.

3 stars.

Zapp

PS. Minus points for the showrunner's BS commentary about "nudity isn't required for the story". Nudity wasn't "required" in S1 either, but it helped pull in viewers, didn't it?

If I got a dollar for every Netflix show that starts out feisty and earthy, only to get all high and mighty once success is achieved... I reserve my respect for shows that either decides against adult themes from S1E1, or decides to feature these aspects of life throughout the entire series' run.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Also, can I root for no nation to win the fights? Because outside the leader of the Witchers, every leader seems bad.
And even the leader of the Witchers seems very morally gray. He would give a dangerous mutagen to children in order to turn them into mutants that would result in them forever being cast-offs of society. And that's if they even survive the process. Yes, Witchers are good for protecting the people, but still.

pukunui

Legend
I haven't watched season 2 yet. Does it touch on Vilgefortz's seeming betrayal at the end of season 1 at all? (I haven't read any of the books or played any of the games.)

Also, can I root for no nation to win the fights? Because outside the leader of the Witchers, every leader seems bad.
I think you can. The Witchers - and certainly Geralt - generally try to stay out of it, but the situation with Ciri makes things more complicated, though.

I think it's really just important to root for Ciri, Geralt or Yennefer. (And typically, that involves rooting for all 3.) But failing that, you can always root for Jaskier.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases