Wizard class-feature houserule

Mezzer

First Post
I've recently been thinking about different ways to spice the wizard up, without necessarily changing anything too prominent; subtle and effective is more my style. One of the main issues I have with him is basically that he lacks a defining class feature which forces him to be creative, so to speak.

For example, strikers need to maneuver to get their extra striker damage, defenders need to mark people, and leaders at least have lots of abilities to play with. The wizard is somewhat lackluster in that department, in that he can just stand still and sling spells, and all his flexibility can be summed up in the fact that he can pick one of two dailies/utility powers he knows when he rests. All that wonderful flexibility is never gonna come into play; I'll just chose the one power I like and go with that, except on the extremely rare occasion in which I know that it won't be of any use.

And thinking along those lines, I came up with the following, as an addendum to spellbook part of the wizard's class feature. I'm still strugling to find a solution for the 'creativity' factor (there's only so much you can do with cantrips), but this might help spice up the 'flexibility' factor at least.

After a short rest, you may swap any (unused) daily wizard spell for any other daily wizard spell you know of the same level.
Here are the implications; you can swap out any daily attack power or any daily utility power you know after a short rest, so if you chose a encounter utility power, you're stuck with that for the day. Choosing a power of the same level removes the need to spell out utility/attack power in the wording, and prevents abuse. Unused is there for people who like reading into things so much they cross genres. :p

The pros: it allows you to actually take situational powers since you can adapt and use them on-the-fly (so to speak), it makes the Expanded Spellbook feat a much more solid choice (personally, I don't like it, but some people love it), and in short, it gives you that flexibility which wizards really should have, even within the confines of 4E.

The cons: it might make Expanded Spellbook a must-have feat, which is not a good thing (if you have something that's a must-have, it's a safe bet it's overpowered). Erm, that's all I can come up with as far as cons are concerned. :D

Having the choice of using basically any of your known daily spells (after one short rest) might be fairly powerful, but hey, why even have a choice if you can't actually make it? Anyway, I'd love to hear what you all think.

Last edited:

Danforthe

First Post
Rather than adding it as a Class Feature you could just make it a feat (with or without a Wisdom requirement) to give certain wizards he ability to think ahead and plan their next move. Then, even if it seems essential, the extra cost makes it a little more debateable. If it still seems too powerful make a note saying it only applies to only one tier of powers per feat.

Mezzer

First Post
How much you want to bet you just guessed the class feature for Sorcerer in PHB II?
Oh for the life of me, no! :eek: We really need something other than the 'same as a wizard, only more picky' thing this time around.

Rather than adding it as a Class Feature you could just make it a feat (with or without a Wisdom requirement) to give certain wizards he ability to think ahead and plan their next move. Then, even if it seems essential, the extra cost makes it a little more debateable. If it still seems too powerful make a note saying it only applies to only one tier of powers per feat.
I though about that already, but it would be a bit too attractive as a feat for me. That, and the fact that I hate it when all the wizard's toys are tied up in feats (it's 3.x all over again). And slapping on a random ability prerequisite just feels wrong.

Any thoughts on how powerful it actually seems?

Safari

First Post
I made the following house rule for wizards, to give them more tactical options

[FONT=&quot]Spell-Weaving [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Through intense study of magic, the wizard has learned to imbue his spells with additional effects. The Wizard may spend a minor action to add one of the spell-weaving effects to his next attack spell. Spell-weaving can only affect one target per attack, even if the spell attacks multiple targets.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Spell-weaving effects:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Burning Embers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The target takes 2 ongoing damage(save ends). The damage is of the same type as the attack spell(fire, poison, etc) and doesn’t stack with itself. At 11th level, this damage increases to 4. At 21st level, it increases to 6 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Binding Chains[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The target is slowed until the end of your next turn.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bludgeoning Force[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You push the target one square.[/FONT]

Heroic Feat:
Lingering Arcana
Prerequisites: Wizard, Spell-weaving
Benefit: You can spend a minor action to extend the duration
of any effect created by a wizard spell or spell-weaving that would otherwise end at the end of your current turn. The effect instead ends at the end of your next turn.

Paragon Tier feat
Expert Spell-Weaving
Prerequisites: Wizard, Spellweaving
Benefit: You can place two different spell-weaving effects on one Wizard spell with a minor action.

Mezzer

First Post
Well, I was going for something simple and not unbalancing, whereas that doesn't even remotely take balance into consideration.

Safari

First Post
You might be right there, i havent taken balance into much consideration. I just wanted the wizard to be able to do fun stuff and make him feel more like a controller. To be honest, none of my players have touched the wizard, so i wanted to make it a little more appealing. As you said, the wizard is the only one who can't do extra stuff besides his powers in combat.
They can do alot of stuff outside of combat, but the major thing of 4e was making all classes equal in combat.
But why do you think it will be so inbalancing? If you look at the powers it will do nothing more then a fighter can already do.

Combat challenge>binding chains
Bludgeoning Force>Tide of Iron

It seems weird to me that the fighter is more of a controller then the wizard. The wizards thing is supposed to be battlefield control, but the only way he can do that is through his daily attacks, which aren't always available.

Burning Embers may need to change, i just wanted the wizard to be stronger in situations where they can't use area attacks (solo's and elites)

Anyway like i said, i dont have a good idea of the wizards power level in play, and this may be horribly inbalancing.

However your solution seems a simple and elegant way for the wizard to increase his effectivenes. If he knows a solo monster is coming up, he can prepare a good single target spell. Is he going to fight a legion of lesser creatures, out come the big flashy spells.
This also goes together with the supposed strength of a wizard. which is knowledge. Through knowledge checks or rituals, the wizard may find out information about upcoming encounters, and use that knowledge to adapt his powers.

jbear

First Post
I think its a nice option for the wizard to have and not overpowering, kinda makes up for their way lower damage compared to a warlock. As far as Safaris spellweaving idea, I'm sure your wizard is delighted but I certainly wouldnt give the first three effects in one go. Definitely fun but seems way too powerful.
I have the feeling the feats available for the wizard in the PHB are the least interesting of all the classes... so much so the wizard I am playing took proficiency with leather armour at second level... I wouldnt mind some interesting options like spell weaving or spellbook flexibility available as heroic tier feats... or I see my wizard about to reach level 4 becoming proficient with a shield as well...

Last edited:

Mezzer

First Post
But why do you think it will be so inbalancing? If you look at the powers it will do nothing more then a fighter can already do.

Combat challenge>binding chains
Bludgeoning Force>Tide of Iron

It seems weird to me that the fighter is more of a controller then the wizard. The wizards thing is supposed to be battlefield control, but the only way he can do that is through his daily attacks, which aren't always available.

Burning Embers may need to change, i just wanted the wizard to be stronger in situations where they can't use area attacks (solo's and elites)

Anyway like i said, i dont have a good idea of the wizards power level in play, and this may be horribly inbalancing.
Well, I've seen two completely different wizards in the campaigns my group has played so far, and more importantly, I've seen both be very effective at what they do. It may not always be terribly interesting, but it's not ineffective by any means, so that's why I think the wizard is really missing only minor stuff.

Your idea has some very obvious drawbacks in terms of balance; allowing a spell to slow one target does away with the need for Ray of Frost as an at will, since you can just use any other spell for the same effect (only more damage/AoE/etc). Additionally, only one at will has the ability to push a target, and it's not the easiest spell to use in every situation (Thunderweave's AoE is as much a good thing as it is bad, as far as pushing a person is concerned).

If you wanted to pull it off, and keep it balanced, it should be acquired through a feat, cost a healing surge to use, and grant more powerful effects (not much mind you). Spell-weaving like that would certainly be cool. ;)

However your solution seems a simple and elegant way for the wizard to increase his effectivenes. If he knows a solo monster is coming up, he can prepare a good single target spell. Is he going to fight a legion of lesser creatures, out come the big flashy spells.
This also goes together with the supposed strength of a wizard. which is knowledge. Through knowledge checks or rituals, the wizard may find out information about upcoming encounters, and use that knowledge to adapt his powers.
Yeah, that's what I like about it, it doesn't really give you anything you don't already have, except a better (more clever) way of using it. :)

Remove ads