• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard Spellbook, Daily Preparation, and Utility Spells

New to 4e here.

Trying to wrap my brain around how the Wizard's spellbook is used with the new rules. My understanding is that (don't have the rulebook directly in front of me) for each spell the wizard gains per level, he/she can write 2 new spells of that level into his/her spellbook. Each day, however, the wizard only prepares the number of spells that they could otherwise cast.

This makes sense to me in the context of daily spells. I am supposed to know one daily spell...I select from one of the two in my spellbook, and I'm on my way. Conceptually, the "daily" nature of the spell/power seems to coincide with 3.5 "slots" neatly.

Where I am little confused is with utility spells...and particularly utility spells that are not daily, but encounter-based. In theory, there is no limit to the number of times I can cast an encounter-based spell in the course of a single day. So when I go to select (say at 2nd level), one of my utility spells and I select an encounter-based spell, am I in effect saying that..."for this day, and until I re-prepare my spells, the utility spell I know is this one (regardless of whether it is a daily spell and I am entitled to cast it only once or an encounter-based spell and I am entitled to cast it a number of times)?"

Apologies in advance if I am overcomplicating what should be a simple thing...just can't get my brain around this quite yet.

N0Man

First Post
Yes, you got it right.

If only the rules where more explicit with this...

The rules are explicit on this.

Player's Handbook: "After an extended rest, you can prepare a number of daily and utility spells according to what you can cast per day for your level."

It may seem strange, but yes, the spell you prepare for the day might be an Encounter or a Daily spell but you can only change which is prepared during an extended rest.

It's a shame Wizards don't get any At-Will Utilities, like some classes, heh.

If you think about it wizard dailies and utilities work almost like the old time spell book. You just get to have 2 of each level of spells to put in it and you can exchange them by retraining. In fact in all respects most wizard spells are cast pretty much like in the old days except a goodly number of them can be recast during the next encounter. Vancian magic is alive and well ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads