D&D General Wizards of the Coast releases pay-for-download PDF of the 1974 Original D&D Three Volume Boxed Set (including Tolkien references!)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Oh! I purchased it but it isn’t in my library either. I did download my copy. I wonder if they refunded me?
Now that's alarming.

Checking my library right now, and I still have it listed, with no problem downloading. That's usually how it is for DriveThruRPG; I've picked up products that were later pulled, and they've always allowed me to re-download them even after they were taken down.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Not really, see here for details. Without the box, you would probably not be able to get a good price for the three booklets.

Thanks - I kinda figured. None of these books could be considered better than "Fair" condition except Swords & Spells which looks to have been barely used.

The three core books do seem to be an alpha or beta print from 1974, so even in fair condition they would be worth a few thousand IF the box was here, which it isn't.

Voadam

Legend
Now that's alarming.

Checking my library right now, and I still have it listed, with no problem downloading. That's usually how it is for DriveThruRPG; I've picked up products that were later pulled, and they've always allowed me to re-download them even after they were taken down.
DriveThru has not always. Notably when WotC pulled their PDF catalog for years you could not redownload any of the ones you had bought.

When the Margaret Weis/Sovereign Stone/Arthaus licenses ended for the 3e stuff I got all of the dragonlance ones on the big sale. I did not download them immediately and two days after I bought them I was not able to download any of them. Drivethru refunded me when I contacted them about it but I would have much preferred to have the PDFs.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I'm still able to download MPMB's Character Generator from my DMsGuild library even though they pulled the product years ago.

JEB

Legend
I wonder how these errors keep happening? Did someone just give an intern a stack of things to scan and upload without double-checking what was in it, or something?

Reynard

Legend
There's so much that is so weird and fun and inexplicable in this document. Like the completely offhand comment that the referee should include some robots and cyborgs on the encounter chart, or that a 20::1 player to ref ratio was about right.

Now I need to dig up some discussions by the old timers what actual play was like during development.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
There's so much that is so weird and fun and inexplicable in this document. Like the completely offhand comment that the referee should include some robots and cyborgs on the encounter chart, or that a 20::1 player to ref ratio was about right.

Now I need to dig up some discussions by the old timers what actual play was like during development.
Things like that are why I love reading about the early history of D&D. I've been devouring various books about the early days of the hobby over the last few years, and it's truly incredible (in a good way) how different a lot of things were back then.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases