D&D 5E World of Kensei (KS)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The last few years I've been growing ... a bit reluctant... to engage with this type of campaign setting, because I worry about cultural appropriation, bad stereotypes etc etc. I don't feel competent in knowing what material is right and what isn't. This is a shame because I do think there is real value in gaming in non "generic fantasy pseudo europe" setting, but I'm not 100% sure how to do it right .

I saw this one on KS a while back, and at first glance i was interested. The art is gorgeous and if there's a really good authentic Asian-inspired 5e setting out there I haven't found it yet, but frankly, the prickly and defensive tone it takes on matters of cultural sensitivity/appropriation etc put me off a LOT.

This sounds a lot like "we know full well we're doing a generic Rokugan/Kara-Tur style bunch-of-Asian-cliches-from-different-cultures-in-a-blender setting and we just want to get ahead of the criticism that we KNOW is coming without engaging its substance". Or maybe I'm just jaded from reading too many threads about this sort of stuff and I'm doing them a disservice.

The World of Kensei is a made-up fantasy setting. It is a mix of many stories, myths, mythologies or just made up things with a label that sound or does not sound like any geographical region's language or have similarities with something that might have existed or a mix of both.

Disclaimer

At RiotMinds, we do not tolerate racism or discrimination of any kind. We encourage and value diversity in our products. We produce pure fantasy products, not political manifests, and we understand that sometimes that is influenced by our own culture and social context, despite being a multiethnic team. We know we cannot satisfy everyone, and even though we try to be aware of how we present things we can also do wrong or say things that might offend people from different religious, cultural, sexual, political, or other backgrounds and lifestyles. That is not our intent and if that is the case, please contact us in a polite and objective manner and suggest changes, and we will listen. Do not try to polarize or start endless flame-wars or try to twist and bend every little word that is said just to win an argument. We are here to listen, we are here to do good, but we are not here to fight. Riotminds is not bound to any political opinion, religion or any other organization. Our passion is to create fantasy worlds and for that we use our artistic freedom using sources and influences throughout the galaxy or just our own imagination.

This is a project under construction and we are open to any suggestions and/or changes that will make this a more inclusive and interesting setting.

Last edited:

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Well there is also this in case anyone is interested?

I suspect that Rokugan is extremely lore heavy due to the number of books in the original system - so these may be a nice way to remove any baggage?

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I saw this one on KS a while back, and at first glance i was interested. The art is gorgeous and if there's a really good authentic Asian-inspired 5e setting out there I haven't found it yet, but frankly, the prickly and defensive tone it takes on matters of cultural sensitivity/appropriation etc put me off a LOT.

This sounds a lot like "we know full well we're doing a generic Rokugan/Kara-Tur style bunch-of-Asian-cliches-from-different-cultures-in-a-blender setting and we just want to get ahead of the criticism that we KNOW is coming without engaging its substance". Or maybe I'm just jaded from reading too many threads about this sort of stuff and I'm doing them a disservice.

I’m not following you. What bothers you about this? What would you prefer they do?

Rogerd1

Adventurer
I’m not following you. What bothers you about this? What would you prefer they do?
There is this posted on rpg.net

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases