Worldbuilding - tell me about your world

Nagol

Unimportant
I've actually yet to confirm that there is an actual planet surface below them.

One time they had cornered a vampire they had been chasing and thought that he couldn't escape them this time. So he just stepped off into the void. Because falling damage maxes out at 20d6 and his regeneration, he just fell for a few miles until he hit something...

Couldn't he just go to mist form after falling a couple of hundred feet?

Celebrim

Legend
Would be interested how you bridge potential pcs, or is it more like runequest?

Not sure what you are asking, but generally when starting a campaign I try to get PC creation started about two weeks before I plan to have the first session, and we go through an iterative process where they submit a potential background and we start jointly refining it until the PC is grounded in the setting, and the player has some idea of the character's role in the setting. Also, since my original goal was to provide myself a setting that I could set whatever modules I purchased in, but which made more sense geographically and culturally than any of the resources I had access to, a lot of the core Tolkien inspired consensus fantasy still works. There might be some unique features to being an elf in Korrel, but you're still fundamentally in the umbrella of post-Tolkien elvishness.

I also try to start campaigns in areas which are easier for players to relate to and more like consensus fantasy, and then start gradually introducing ideas to the players. For example, players may come to learn that buildings often are sentient, and have spirit that reflects the character of those that have inhabited them, and the longer that a building has been inhabited and the more consistent the character of those that have inhabited them, the stronger, more active, and more intelligent this spirit is. Then at some point down the line they might solve a murder mystery by asking the house who it was that entered it at 2 o'clock in the morning, because they realize that the house penetrated the disguise self spell the murderer was using to throw them off the trail even if the butler did not. Or they may learn that the forces of good are responsible for putting up a barrier around positive energy that prevents it from being directly manipulated by mortal magic, and this is why wizards cannot heal, and then they may eventually learn that the bad guy's goal is to find some way around this barrier and get a source of positive energy that he may then empower arcane spells with. I don't try to dump all this bits of how the world works on the players all at once.

The weirder and more alien areas I tend to avoid gaming in both because I recognize that it would be a challenge for the players to fit in, and a challenge of world building for me to really make it work right. Mostly in practice those areas intersect the game in the form of colorful NPCs with alien cultures and outlooks.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
1 - Inspired by post-Roman Britain through to the Viking invasions (so 600ish AD to maybe 850 AD) in terms of aesthetic and style, not necessarily culture. The campaign centres on a city called Pegbarrow and sort of acts as a last bastion of civilization before heading west into the unknown and monster infested lands*.

2 - Uses an upside down map of the region I used to live in, because hey its already a map (plus I used to live a relatively large city that didn't have much beyond small farming communities for basically 200km in any direction).

3 - Deities may or may not be real. For example The Church of Singularity is a monotheistic faith that has no real proof the deity at the heart of the faith actually exists. There are very real nature spirits that can and do manifest, but they are not divine beings per se, more like immortal being that have absorbed different aspects of reality that they can now control to varying degrees. All of the spirits are based on animals and plants, no "people" so when asking Gorbe the Lynx to help on a hunt you're going to be dealing with a superpowered intelligent cat spirit.

* Monster infestation not guaranteed.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
3. Falling stars and the meteorites that reach the world are almost always laden with a message from a deity.
In Magnus Skyhammer s backstory for a 4Ed game, I wrote that Clan Skyhammer had taken an oath to protect the world from incursions from the Far Realms. Skyhammer’s stronghold was on a mountaintop, from which their many astrologers watched the night sky, scanning tirelessly for signs of falling stars striking the ground.

...because they had figured out that some- but not all- such impacts were actually “eggs” sent from the Far Realms.*

* Plus starmetal was highly prized by Dwarven crafters, and no one made better use of the material than those in
clan Skyhammer.

Remove ads