WotBS WotBS advice needed (SPOILERS galore)

trencher7

Explorer
It´s question time again. Thank you all so far for contributing to this thread.

I am in the midst of preparing Adventure 6 in which the PCs will come to Castle Korstull and find some information in the form of the fevered visions of Darius. I have a couple of questions regarding the visions and hope that you can enlighten me (again).

- The devil of the east wind, his mask only a smile, hides a thunder child in a prison upon a tomb.
Who is this thunder child?

-Serpents writhe in an eight-armed stone, and soldiers shall feast upon the rubble of madness.
What does that refer to?

- O wintry song of agony, o longwalking betrayer, as balance shatters like waves against the shore, your vengeful wing guides the motes of the burning sky, strong by search and guile, to seek annihilation at the Heart of History.
Is the meaning of "Heart of History" and ist location common knowledge? Where exactly is it located on a map. Is generaly known what happened there between the Stormchaser Eagle and the Dragon? Is it just a myth?

Thanks in advance!

And Rules question: In Adventure 6 the Dark Pyre Undead have unnatural presence which states "beasts entering..." and "The creature...". Does this also affect the PCs? I guess not but I thought to better ask.

Last edited:

Honestly, I think maybe 'thunder child' might just be a reference to a song from the BBC musical War of the Worlds radio drama.

Or it refers to The Tempest? But I don't remember what the prison or tomb were supposed to be.

The serpents thing was a reference to what already happened in adventure four - Madness got all serpent-y, and Dassen loves its 8 lands and its dirt.

I do not think the Heart of History would be a commonly known phrase, though I don't remember if I put in any source later on that would cue the PCs in to its importance. The myth of the stormchaser eagle and the dragon is pretty well known, though.

The exact location is, like, north of Sindaire, in southwest Ragesia.

Unnatural presence I think is derived from an ability specters or wraiths had in 3rd edition D&D, which I believe only scares animals.

DarkRevenant

Villager
- The devil of the east wind, his mask only a smile, hides a thunder child in a prison upon a tomb.

The only prison/tomb combination I can think of is the one in Act 5 of Shelter from the Storm. Lee Sidoneth - who is hiding there at the end of the book - could probably be described as a "thunder child" considering his position in the campaign, abilities, and goals.

Tormyr

Adventurer
It´s question time again. Thank you all so far for contributing to this thread.

I am in the midst of preparing Adventure 6 in which the PCs will come to Castle Korstull and find some information in the form of the fevered visions of Darius. I have a couple of questions regarding the visions and hope that you can enlighten me (again).

-Serpents writhe in an eight-armed stone, and soldiers shall feast upon the rubble of madness.
What does that refer to?

- O wintry song of agony, o longwalking betrayer, as balance shatters like waves against the shore, your vengeful wing guides the motes of the burning sky, strong by search and guile, to seek annihilation at the Heart of History.
Is the meaning of "Heart of History" and its location common knowledge? Where exactly is it located on a map. Is generaly known what happened there between the Stormchaser Eagle and the Dragon? Is it just a myth?

Thanks in advance!

And Rules question: In Adventure 6 the Dark Pyre Undead have unnatural presence which states "beasts entering..." and "The creature...". Does this also affect the PCs? I guess not but I thought to better ask.
  1. I would also suggest that the thunder child might refer to the orb of storms which was in the tomb at the end of Shelter from the Storm. It was created by Pilus and could be considered to be his child.
  2. RangerWickett got this one.
  3. The myth of the dragon and the eagle would be known to PCs; it is in the player's guide. I don't think the heart of history should be known to them though. It is a cavern complex entered by passing through Two Dragon's Arch on one end of the Opaline Wastes. Leska and Etinifi found the Heart of History through necessity after a year of searching. She would then have been very careful to keep its location a secret.
  4. The Unnatural Presence trait on burning pyre creatures is brought over from 3.5. It only affects creatures that are beasts and does not affect the heroes directly. However, pets, mounts, and companions that are beasts (such as horses, wolves, bears, and birds) would be affected.

trencher7

Explorer
I am so looking forward to Castle Korstull right now!!!
My players are meeting tonight, unfortunately I can´t attend, to discuss their next steps. We ended last session when the PCs brought Balance on a cart out of the village and were on their way to the forbidden valley. Balance took the Paladine´s body as a vessel after the PCs fought against the East- and West Wind Monks. When they looked down into the valley they only saw heavy fog and heard an unnatural wailing coming from the fog. Because they more or less used all their abilities in the fight they are nearly empty and don´t know how to proceed. They were discussing going on into the valley after a rest or returning to the village because they fear that the calm might have been lifted. But before that the Paladine will offer his steed (a giant stag) to serve as Balance´s new body. History repeats itsself :)
We will see what they are about to do...

Mrpereira

Explorer
A bit late, I know - have been vacationing :)

I always thought of the first to points were refering to Chapter 3 (Lee - in the prison with the pyromancer tomb) and chapter 4 (Madness) thereby establishing his credibility by telling things that they have already faced.

Until it became clear to the PCs ingame (out of game it was more obvious to the players) I kept the story of the eagle and dragon a myth, and the myth told that it happened somewhere in present day Ragesia.

I also made the story of Rhuarc (the one that Rangerwickett posted a long time ago) a myth that was told to the players. I cant recall if it was during the introduction to chapter 6 or 7 that I managed to throw that one in. But it made meeting him later on a lot more tense and meaningful to my players.

trencher7

Explorer
I also made the story of Rhuarc (the one that Rangerwickett posted a long time ago) a myth that was told to the players. I cant recall if it was during the introduction to chapter 6 or 7 that I managed to throw that one in. But it made meeting him later on a lot more tense and meaningful to my players.

That´s also a great idea. I will try to implement Rhuarc´s Story as well!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases