WotC crosses a line - Walking Dead are MtG Tournament Playable (5e next?)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Wizards of the Coast has made a variety of cards from other media "silver-bordered" in the past - Transformers, Nerf, My Little Ponies. The silver border means they aren't tournament playable. They've also made some "reskins" where the actual card name is below the media one - Godzilla.

But now, they're putting Walking Dead characters in black border - playable in Commander, Legacy, and Vintage formats.

And, to top it off, they're only available for one week through the Secret Lair program. So I guess that's two lines, they're the first mechanically unique tournament playable cards sold that way.

So, which comes first Dark Sun and Greyhawk 5e settings, or a Walking Dead one? ;-)

Attachments

• 1601307502828.png
    1601307502828.png
    841.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 1601307523872.png
    1601307523872.png
    234.3 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

I guess we will see more of this type of crossovers.

Walking Dead is an AMC serie distributed by Enternaiment One, and this is by Hasbro. It notices the future is in the multimedia IPs.

Dire Bare

Legend
Wizards of the Coast has made a variety of cards from other media "silver-bordered" in the past - Transformers, Nerf, My Little Ponies. The silver border means they aren't tournament playable. They've also made some "reskins" where the actual card name is below the media one - Godzilla.

But now, they're putting Walking Dead characters in black border - playable in Commander, Legacy, and Vintage formats.

And, to top it off, they're only available for one week through the Secret Lair program. So I guess that's two lines, they're the first mechanically unique tournament playable cards sold that way.

So, which comes first Dark Sun and Greyhawk 5e settings, or a Walking Dead one? ;-)

I'm not a fan of how WotC is handling the Secret Lair drop series at all . . . but, I don't think these missteps are game-breaking in anyway. The Secret Lair drops, and a lot of the other recent "premium" releases for the game just leave me at "meh".

I did think that "My Little Pony" exclusives, and some of the convention exclusives before that, were handled fairly well, even if I didn't pick any of them up.

What does this mean for D&D? It does signal that Hasbro/WotC are more willing to do crossovers and licensing deals . . . . but if we get a D&D crossover that is as "meh" as these Secret Lair drops, I can easily just ignore them. No Big Deal.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm not a fan of how WotC is handling the Secret Lair drop series at all . . . but, I don't think these missteps are game-breaking in anyway. The Secret Lair drops, and a lot of the other recent "premium" releases for the game just leave me at "meh".

The other secret lair drops were all things you could get elsewhere, just with different art (which is what Secret Lair was originally announced as doing iirc. I've bought a few, and went in with friends on some.

I did think that "My Little Pony" exclusives, and some of the convention exclusives before that, were handled fairly well, even if I didn't pick any of them up.

Got those too :)

What does this mean for D&D? It does signal that Hasbro/WotC are more willing to do crossovers and licensing deals . . . . but if we get a D&D crossover that is as "meh" as these Secret Lair drops, I can easily just ignore them. No Big Deal.

The difference with MtG is that your opponent might still show up with them. ::🤷:: Which isn't the end of the world by any means. When we've had fiftenn or twenty of these and they start showing up with Gandalf and Darth Vader and... it feels like something will have changed, and maybe not for the better.

Remove ads