• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Discontinues Minis: How Much Does It Affect You?

How much does the discontinuation of D&D Minis affect you/your game?

bastrak

First Post
While I have quite a collection, probably approaching a thousand and haven't really needed to buy any for some time, I will miss them. I always enjoyed collecting new monsters and looked forward to the release of every set.

Now the only money WotC will get from me is for dungeon tiles as that's only thing left they make I want to buy :eek:

It occurs to me that you really need minis to get the full value of using dungeon tiles and so sales of tiles are likely to drop consequently.

jedavis

First Post
Not at all. My group at home uses DDMs sometimes, but we haven't bought any in a few years, and we've been shifting towards virtual mapping (GameTable and MapTool). And my group at school uses LEGOs :p.

Jhaelen

First Post
I voted 'Not at all'. I already have plenty of DDM minis, and while I'd have been happy to continue buying new minis I really already have more than I need. So the only real effect is a positive one: I'm going to save some money.

NewJeffCT

First Post
How can WotC discontinue the miniatures? I don't have them all yet!!

But, I think between all the Warhammer fantasy miniatures (I have good sized armies of Empire, Orcs/Goblins and Dwarves, plus a decent amount of wood elves), plus Reaper, Confrontation, and others, I have enough miniatures to last a lifetime of gaming... or at least until that next encounter where I don't have quite the right mini for that BBEG.

Cyronax

Explorer
Barely. My mini collection (close to 2,000) already covers pretty much everything we need. The only difference is that now there won't be a once-per-year time when I go looking for excuses to make PCs fight the monsters I just got awesome new minis for.

I am in this exact situation. I have way too many minis -- but its a boon if and when I host the game at my apartment. Whenever I traveled to another location to DM, I hated having to parse out minis and lug them, plus a few books, drinks, and my laptop.

I think WotC releasing minis through board games and collectors sets could scratch any future itches I have.

But honestly, if I want to be a traveling DM, the tokens in the DM Kit and Monster Vault are totally workable, more compact, and preferable.

C.I.D.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
I use lots of miniatures in my games, but they are almost all metal miniatures.

I would have been on board with the D&D monster miniatures if they hadn't been a "collectible" randomized commodity. They really dropped the ball by not releasing a set of miniatures and tiles to go with Keep on the Shadowfell... everyone was scrambling for kobold miniatures then!

Reaper did put out a small set of pre-paints, but they never got around to doing bulk sets of monsters I actually needed.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
It's sad. I also wonder what newer players are going to use for physical representation. I really enjoy the look and feel of the minis.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads