• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC got sued, can't remember the details

2 hours to make...15 seconds to kill. I forget...was cloning allowed? We did that all night the first time we played :D

Seriously...as said before- then neat ideas but the rules and damage were just wrong. At one point I was going to 3.5 the game but figured if that got out he would sue me within my own home. Now his books just collect dust.

Wow...did this thread ever do a 180 from the original start!

Dogbrain

First Post
From my perspective as one of the conversion writers for WotC, what I recall is this:

The Primal Order gets published, with a list of games that it has conversions for.
Palladium files the lawsuit (amusing aside--Palladium had a press release that had a copyright disclaimer that prohibited the press release's publication.), and at one point there were threats bandied about that the conversion authors might be co-defendents.

One of the claims that Palladium had was that Primal Order was in direct competition with a forthcoming Palladium product that would do the exact same thing.

The suit was finally settled with an agreement that all further editions of Primal Order would not mention the Palladium game (and I think, remove the Palladium conversion notes).

The alleged Palladium product never appeared, of course.

Dogbrain said:
One of the claims that Palladium had was that Primal Order was in direct competition with a forthcoming Palladium product that would do the exact same thing.

Call me dense but I fail to see how this could ever be a relevant arguement in a court of law.

ichabod

Legned
DocMoriartty said:
Call me dense but I fail to see how this could ever be a relevant arguement in a court of law.

Call me dense, but I fail to see how relevance has much to do with IP law at all.
:)

Gundark

Explorer
Dogbrain said:

This has been the story of Palladium's (and sembedia's) business life. They're worse than privateer press(privateer has an excuse at least). Man I love bashing Palladium :D

Mach2.5

First Post
Rules bashing aside (which with Palladium could go on forever), most of the books from Palladium can't be beat for the sheer number of ideas crammed into one book, even in the half hazard style that they are published in. While I have yet to run any Palladium game using the stock rules, I consider the book (both from the Rifts line and the Palladium Fantasy RPG) to be gems in my collection when I'm suffering from writers block with adventures and NPCs. All jokes about the crappy cartoon series and lame movies aside, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game wasn't half bad either, a much darker and grittier setting than the mass market versions of such. Far more true to the feel of the original graphic novels.

Remove ads