D&D (2024) WotC is right to avoid the word "edition."

HammerMan

Legend
Just to add to this, this is not DM-controllable, and like a lot of elements of D&D Beyond, it's not consistent.

DMs have zero ability to control what options players see/have. If content is owned or shared, players see it. Even if you disable the sharing, it's still shared for character creation and so on (it just blocks them from reading the entire book), which is a little surprising though there is a note on Beyond carefully explaining it.

And the "show legacy content" toggle is in a weird place in character generation in Beyond. When you create a character initially, you get a giant page full of toggles, most of them controlling what content you see (this is for the player to pick, not the DM, surprisingly), like Eberron, Rick & Morty, Critical Role, etc. - and there are two Tasha's toggles, one for "customizing your origin", and the other for "optional class features", which default to off. One would expect "show legacy content" because literally everything else that controls content is - but in fact it's on the race choice screen, as a toggle there (and not entirely well-explained).
So I’m general if I were to use beyond I would need to toggle on and off each option?

jasper

Rotten DM
Beyond is how 10 million people playbthe game. AL is a campaign of, last I heard, 100,000 people. And their rules are from the AL admins, not WotC. It's not the "official" waybtonplaybD&D, it's a nice big welcoming marketing home game, in essence.
hahahhahahhaha. AL DM. If rules were from the AL admins ONLY, the guidance would be lot quicker. My tables run from 3 to 7. I have DM 10. But I will agree with on marketing the home game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
no it isn't.... there are 10 million people who signed up at least once to try it... no body in there right mind thinks everyone that tries a free trial is going to continue on and use the service
This. There are tons like me who made an account just to see what was offered in the free version and then left because it was crap and they don't want to pay a second time for the same products. I only log in to get the occasional free download I hear about and to get the new playtest UAs.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This. There are tons like me who made an account just to see what was offered in the free version and then left because it was crap and they don't want to pay a second time for the same products. I only log in to get the occasional free download I hear about and to get the new playtest UAs.
That's more interaction than most players have with the AL. :p

Three in my group have accounts... none of us use it and none have paid for anything

Remove ads