D&D (2024) WotC is right to avoid the word "edition."

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Calling it a new edition could scare some people, I can see why they would want to avoid it. They don't want to fracture the player base and by looking at the playtest I'm afraid they may fracture it by some fraction (less than half). They had me sold with "compatability" but I'm starting to have my doubts.
I think more people will be confused when they think its the D&D they been playing, but it isnt.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Call it what you want and have a ribbon saying 5e and 6e compatible! Anyone interested in one or the other would know they could buy it and use it!

If WOTC broke down and called it 6E, I think that would help deskunkifying the term "edition" in regards to D&D and would make future transitions much easier in the future if they keep the compatability to about the level they pitched in the OneD&D introduction video.
yes "This is 6e, but still keeping the base system and trying to have adventures backwards compatible if not player options"

Parmandur

Book-Friend
yes "This is 6e, but still keeping the base system and trying to have adventures backwards compatible if not player options"
"6E" wouldn't be fully honest, either, since there have been more than 6 Editions of D&D already. OneD&D is still less egregious than 3.5 pretending to be errata.

"6E" wouldn't be fully honest, either, since there have been more than 6 Editions of D&D already. OneD&D is still less egregious than 3.5 pretending to be errata.
yes someone (maybe you) actually said 15e might be more honest. I was useing 6 since the current is 5.

I think being forthright is best.

edit: and as i have said for the last 6 months it doesn't really matter what WotC calls it. 6e/5.5/anniversary edition or now we know it is 1 D&D as we now know... it will matter come 2024+ how people (us, but also alot of players not on this site) relate to it. If we all call it 6e, or 5.5 I don't think it really matters what they market it as.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
yes someone (maybe you) actually said 15e might be more honest. I was useing 6 since the current is 5.

I think being forthright is best.
Yeah, maybe even 16. Their mainpo8jt in obfuscation here is pretty plainly tk make people comfortable that they can keep playing with what they have and to minimize any threat of edition warring or splitting the fanbase. It's WotC own fault for setting the expectation of an "edition" being an Earth shattering difference.

Remove ads