WotC Map-A-Week: GONE!

Swiftbrook

First Post
From the WotC Boards:
Posted by me (Swiftbrook):

Gripe: On the D&D Web Site (not the boards per-say), one of my favorite weekly articles "Map-A-Week" has been pushed to the back pages. There is no easy way to get to the current months feature, no links or deticated pages. The only way to get to the old 'archived' maps is to go to Downloads --> Map-A-Week.

I think it would be approriate to have a link to the current months Map-A-Week under the Articles pages.

I agree that it would be appropriate if that feature were going to receive any further updates, however Map-A-Week has come to an end and will not receive any further updates.

Map-A-Week was our oldest continuous web feature, launched in August of 2000 just after the release of 3rd Edition it received more updates (232) than any other D&D website feature. The maps have been featured in other website articles as well as our downloadable adventures and have inspired two print products.

Sorry

MJ
(Mark A Jindra, WotC Staff: Web Developer: D&D, Eberron, Forgotten Realms, D&D Miniatures, d20 Modern, d20 System, Avalon Hill.)

Just thought the community should know the bad news. :(

WotC Forum Link

-Swiftbrook

RuminDange

First Post
I guess they want to be able to do a map folio in which people will buy because it will have maps they can't get any other way. :D

RD

Richards

Legend
Originally posted by RuminDange:
I guess they want to be able to do a map folio in which people will buy because it will have maps they can't get any other way.
That would be my guess. "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

Johnathan

Steel_Wind

Legend
OTOH, this reduction in free adventure content jibes with the sign that WotC is moving towards getting back in the adventure publishing biz.

We might see Dungeon pick up some slack with the return of "Maps of Mystery" as well.

I truly think what we are seeing though is a move towards getting back in the adventure business - as the options to make more rules & crunch is diminishing at the vast rate that WotC has been publishing at.

Altamont Ravenard said:
the Art forum is full of maps... Perhaps this will encourage people even MORE to put up their various maps.

AR

You know, I've tried to take advantage of that fact. But as best I can tell--and I could be missing something, I readily admit--there's no way to filter them. I don't want to scroll through the whole thing looking for maps; I want to be able to hit a "map" option and see nothing but.

Is there any way to do this? Such a utility would make the art form far more valuable to me, as a DM, than it is now.

Remove ads