WotC WotC on NPR today.

Dausuul

Legend
Thanks, good to know. For what it's worth, knowing that a reserved list exists is about the extent of my MTG trivia knowledge. I am not a player. Also, it's interesting to learn these are all reprints; I don't think the article mentioned that.
The reserved list is from way, way back. In the early days of Magic, they did a set called Chronicles, in which they reprinted a whole bunch of cards--and they reprinted them in massive quantity*, far exceeding the original print runs. As a result, many highly collectible cards tanked in value, and hobby shop owners went ballistic. Suddenly whole shelves full of $20 cards were worthless. (This was back when $20 was considered a high price for a Magic card.)

In order to rebuild trust with distributors and collectors, Wizards came up with the idea of a list of "reserved" cards, which they swore never ever to reprint. Furthermore, they made additional rules: Of the rarest cards in any set, no more than 25% would ever be reprinted, and there would only be one window (the next core set) in which that reprinting could happen. Any card which missed that window went on the reserved list forever.

This plan worked and revived M:tG as a collector item. But as the player base expanded, the reserved list became more and more of a problem. Prices of cards on the list went through the roof, and there was no way to balance supply with demand. Wizards decided in 2002 that no more cards would go on the list.

However, even today, Wizards considers themselves bound by their promise: Cards already on the list cannot be reprinted in any form. They can't even print a card with the same mechanics and give it a new name.

* Massive by the standards of the time, at least. It wouldn't even be a blip today.

see

Pedantic Grognard
However, even today, Wizards considers themselves bound by their promise: Cards already on the list cannot be reprinted in any form.
Not quite. They cannot be reprinted in a form that is tournament legal. In principle, they could re-release the whole list in (for example) silver borders, as long as silver-bordered cards were prohibited in tournaments even if otherwise identical to a "real" card.

Not quite. They cannot be reprinted in a form that is tournament legal. In principle, they could re-release the whole list in (for example) silver borders, as long as silver-bordered cards were prohibited in tournaments even if otherwise identical to a "real" card.
Have they ever actually reprinted a card this way, or is it just a theoretical option?

see

Pedantic Grognard
Have they ever actually reprinted a card this way, or is it just a theoretical option?
There have not been any reprints of Reserved List cards that were both 1) physically suitable for inclusion in decks and 2) not tournament legal.

It used to be allowed to reprint Reserved List cards in tournament-legal premium forms (like four of the cards in "From the Vault: Relics"), but blowback from that experiment is why they changed the rule to prohibit tournament-legal reprints.

That sort of blowback might well have convinced them to never do a trick like "border color that makes it not tournament legal", of course. But they didn't explicitly promise not to, so I can still hold out hope for an "Unreserved" set.

Scribe

Legend
That sort of blowback might well have convinced them to never do a trick like "border color that makes it not tournament legal", of course. But they didn't explicitly promise not to, so I can still hold out hope for an "Unreserved" set.

The card stock wouldn't be as good as the originals anyway unless you order from Japan. ;)

Remove ads