• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wotc online monster builder can build monsters from scratch.

Trebor62

First Post
Wotc online monster builder can build monsters from scratch. Now when I log in in addition the the monster list, I can chose build new or import. I saw the same thing yesterday but only realized what it was today. I had been using the old downloadable one for my monster building. I am giving the new one a shot.

Quickleaf

Legend
Trebor62 said:
Wotc online monster builder can build monsters from scratch. Now when I log in in addition the the monster list, I can chose build new or import. I saw the same thing yesterday but only realized what it was today. I had been using the old downloadable one for my monster building. I am giving the new one a shot.
Any limit on the number of homebrew monsters you can save?

Still no copy/paste function - not even jpg never mind rtf, afaict.
So is export limited to XML?

Scribble

First Post
Any limit on the number of homebrew monsters you can save?

There is- larger then the number of characters you can save, but smaller then I think it should be. I want to say around 40 or 50? I forget the actual number.

This is mitigated though by the below:

So is export limited to XML?

YEah- I think they talked about adding other options in the future?

You can print though, so if you want to print to pdf that's an option.

Are you kidding? It uses MM1 math? :confused:

Yah... This is the most bizare aspect... I assume they had already done the backend work when the math was changed, and decided not to delay the release with updating the math. I'm also assuming it will be fixed...

It's not hard to fix the math though, so this problem, for me at least, is far from insurmountable, and I think the rest of the thing is pretty slick. So I'm happy with the update so far! :)

the Jester

Legend
Bad math + can't export to put them in an adventure I'm writing = ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS.

I have been waiting a year for this. This was the thing that was supposed to fill me with joy again and make me re-subscribe. Instead, it's the most bitter DDI disappointment since they released the "Monster Slider" in the first place.

The new builder still cannot meet the usability of the one that we had more than a year ago. Come on, WotC! Why even do this if it's using obsolete math? Why not wait with this update until it was, you know, actually usable?

Scribble

First Post
Bad math + can't export to put them in an adventure I'm writing = ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS.

I have been waiting a year for this. This was the thing that was supposed to fill me with joy again and make me re-subscribe. Instead, it's the most bitter DDI disappointment since they released the "Monster Slider" in the first place.

The new builder still cannot meet the usability of the one that we had more than a year ago. Come on, WotC! Why even do this if it's using obsolete math? Why not wait with this update until it was, you know, actually usable?

Well- sorry to hear it's not for you- that sucks. :(

I know it seems crazy, since the math was changed so long ago, but as someone that deals with this type of stuff at work, I can almost guarantee the part that handles the math was done a long time ago, and once the math was changed the DDI team gave them the option of delaying the full project X amount of time while it's updated, or release a "working" monster builder with the idea of adding a patch to fix the math afterwards.

I think calling it non usable is a little harsh- it's not ideal sure, but it's quite usable (and in my opinion pretty slick.)

I think had they delayed it without releasing anything at all, that just increases worry that they aren't doing anything.

I can certainly understand if you don't want to subscribe until it's in an ideal situation though.

Gaming Tonic

Explorer
This is great news and I hope the progress continues. It is unfortunate that it is still using MM1 math but I do hope that is easily corrected. I hope there is a patch to include some sort of export feature so it is easier to use in my homebrew adventures. Hopefully these things happen quickly and WOTC works towards maintaining a strong digital presence with 4E or any new editions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads