• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WoTC Rich: Beholder!

LostInTheMists

First Post
From Rich Baker's Gleemax blog

On to D&D: Our epic-level party is still trying to fight our way out of the demonic prison where we’ve been trapped for 1,000 years, give or take. We had more of a complete table in our second session, since Rob Watkins joined us with his elf rogue. Our first battle of the night was a fight against a death giant and a beholder. The beholder is a level 19 solo, so he’s actually a little under our level, but it turned out to be a great fight. The 4e version of the beholder just rocks—there are some great mechanics for the eye-rays. For example, the beholder has an aura that lets it make one random eye-ray attack against each enemy in range each turn, before it does anything else. And it also has an eye-fury that lets it blast several eye rays in one action. I think it’s the best version of the beholder that we’ve done in 30 years of the game, a great mix of playability and truly respectable firepower to keep players on the edges of their seats. Ulwhe, my warlock character, held up his end of things pretty well—it turns out a high-level warlock is a very elusive target due to built-in concealment and several powers that provide teleportation and/or invisibility for a short time. The beholder took out most of its anger on the rogue, but Rob’s elf survived.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Also hmm, the whole "use multiple rays in one action" since we can face gods now. Just imagine facing Tiamat with that kind of power when it comes to her breath-attacks. *shudders* Is scary.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Also hmm, the whole "use multiple rays in one action" since we can face gods now. Just imagine facing Tiamat with that kind of power when it comes to her breath-attacks. *shudders* Is scary.
Since when did automatic TPK become scary? :D

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
The "economy of actions" discussion has made me realise why I always hated using beholders. Their ability to cast 10+ rays per round was simply obscene. I hated using hydras for the same reason. But as a solo monster, this might actually end up balanced. I'm very interested to see how the 4th edition versions of these monsters turn out.

Ipissimus

First Post
Man, you have missed out on the original one-monster TPK. I don't know any other regular monster that's caused so much grief to a party of the appropriate level (save DCs get way too low when the PCs start leveling up).

One of my players (a wizardophile) once boasted that none of his characters (all wizards) had ever died in a game. That, essentially, he was an unkillable death machine. I smiled and nodded... bacause I knew the Beholder was coming in the next session.

He got disintegrated.

And no, I didn't cheat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads