Planescape WOTC Teasing Planescape?

Was just about to post this.

While this announcement is just for a video game, I would not be surprised if WotC is watching the reaction to this and gauging how well that would translate to a 5th Ed product. So we should all try to give them a reason to make some of the suggestions that have been thrown around here.

Ashran

Explorer
While this announcement is just for a video game, I would not be surprised if WotC is watching the reaction to this and gauging how well that would translate to a 5th Ed product. So we should all try to give them a reason to make some of the suggestions that have been thrown around here.

Well, yeah, I would buy anything planescape in a heartbeat and I know I am not the only one, one can only hope wotc knows it, too. I personnaly think it's high time to get out of the realms (don't get me wrong I love forgotten realms) just for variety sake. They have a lot of differents licences that could be used and planescape is only one of them. I would buy a lot of campaign setting books if they were made...

Greenmtn

Explorer
This isn't really what we'd hoped for but pretty much what we (or maybe I speak for myself only) expected.

It's already been mentioned that this being successful could sway them to produce some 5e content. It's been a while since I've played through and I remember Morte having a dirty sense of humor but nothing that would do any more than make a kid giggle, What age range?

2 of my kids like video games and have started playing DnD in a game I run for them. Maybe this is my way to introduce them to this setting and see if they like it.

Zaxarus

Explorer
Just out of curiosity... the last line on planescape.com says:

"Planescape: Torment, Dungeons & Dragons, D&D, Wizards of the Coast, their respective logos, Planescape, and the dragon ampersand are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast LLC"

However, i see that the Planescape: Torment trademark isn't owned by WotC no more (the renewal failed, as noted here)... heck, even the Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Planescape and Birthright tradermarks are incurring in some issues with their renewal o_O
Since i'm neither an American nor a lawyer, could someone explain me the situation? ^_^

Brujoloco

First Post
All of this discussion led me to wonder something, anyone knows the current official status quo of Sigil within the Planescape Universe? As far as I recall Sigil ended in pretty bad shape yet regrowing as several factions were destroyed or disbanded, the only known Lady of Pain petitioner slain and the dabus slowly taking over. If WotC decided to tackle this instead of the cursory glance they gave it in 4th Edition I would gladly buy every single new Planescape material they printed, it is simply too good a setting to let it go to waste, I sorely miss Diterlizzi´s Art Style that permeated so much of the setting. Really hope its not just the pc game.

It's been a while since I've played through and I remember Morte having a dirty sense of humor but nothing that would do any more than make a kid giggle, What age range?

2 of my kids like video games and have started playing DnD in a game I run for them. Maybe this is my way to introduce them to this setting and see if they like it.

"ESRB Rating: Teen (with Animated Blood, Animated Violence, Suggestive Themes, Violence)"

If I recall, there is a lot of thematic maturity, some comments from Morte like you suggested, and some corpse nudity (including frontal nudity) in the Mausoleum.

All of this discussion led me to wonder something, anyone knows the current official status quo of Sigil within the Planescape Universe? As far as I recall Sigil ended in pretty bad shape yet regrowing as several factions were destroyed or disbanded, the only known Lady of Pain petitioner slain and the dabus slowly taking over. If WotC decided to tackle this instead of the cursory glance they gave it in 4th Edition I would gladly buy every single new Planescape material they printed, it is simply too good a setting to let it go to waste, I sorely miss Diterlizzi´s Art Style that permeated so much of the setting. Really hope its not just the pc game.

Personally I hope they forget about the Faction War and set any new material without reference to it (at at least provide options for adventuring in multiple eras--ie, before and after). Apparently the original 2e goal was to essentially clean up the fallout of it and get things more or less back to how they were before in Sigil anyway.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If I may indulge in a little of both...

We've been speaking of "Midway" as a PHB 2 type product; or a Big Book of Crunch. WotC doesn't produce those anymore. They produce hybrid products that tell stories along with giving DM and PC info. Volo's Guide is a great example, 1/3rd lore, 1/3rd PC stuff (races), 1/3rd DM stuff (monsters). Even the latest module, a series of unconnected adventures of D&D's past, has been couched in a framing device of "stories heard in Faerun's most famous bar".

Perhaps Midway is a Guide to the D&D Multiverse, with Sigil/Planescape as the framing device?

WotC has a few worlds that deserve some love, but maybe wouldn't warrant their own campaign guide. I could easily see a couple pages discussing Oerth, Athas, Eberron, Krynn, and Sigil itself (some general lore, a map, etc). Using Sigil as a framing device, you can have a planeswalker recall what he knows of each place since he visited them, creating an "in universe" description. Then, you add some needed crunch to run these worlds (Kender, draconians, artificers, mystics, warforged, shifters, changlings, kalashtar, etc) as your "crunch" portion.

Advantages:
* Good intro to the worlds beyond Faerun without taking the focus off the Realms
* Much needed crunch to run said worlds
* Might lead into opening the settings to DMsGuild

Disadvantages:
* Most of the UA stuff hasn't been very setting specific; not sure how you fit the new ranger or most of the new subclasses into world-specific desgin
* the multiversal setting would limit its use in AL play (unless the AL doesn't mind kender and warforged in Faerun).
* The only evidence for this is artificer (and to a lesser extent, mystic).

I agree that this is more likely than a big book of player options, and a great idea in general. Especially if it is phb sized, so you get at least a few pages per setting, with room for setting specific creatures, items, optional rules, etc, and stuff like Sigil, The City of Brass, and a few other Planar locales.

Remove ads

Remove ads