D&D 4E WotC this is something you absolutely cannot screw up in 5E like you screwed up in 4E

Tallifer

Hero
Dinosaur names. Seriously stuff like Thunderstomper Drake and Macetail Behemoth...that needs to stop. Just call them by their latin names. It's easier and looks less lame / counter intuitive.

I love the Fourth Edition, but I have to totally agree with you on this one.

Of course, it is also completely unimportant and irrelevant, because there is nothing stopping anyone calling them dinosaurs. Same with Eladrin: they are High Elves at my table, or possible Noldor. I also use the terms Hobbit and Ent; refluff kobolds to look like little Norse dwarves and orcs as perversions of elves corrupted by Morgoth. The latter is admittedly more difficult because of the art.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I prefer greek names, and i want a proper identification of the relationships between the different dinosaurs this time. No longer calling the members of the family of the Tyrannosauridae and it's subgroup the Albertosaurinae simply "dinosaurs".

Also, most of the TRexes depicted in D&D are actually Tarbosauri Bataar, but that's neither here nor there.

delericho

Legend
Dinosaur names. Seriously stuff like Thunderstomper Drake and Macetail Behemoth...that needs to stop. Just call them by their latin names. It's easier and looks less lame / counter intuitive.

Yep. Agree 100%.

Heck, just renaming them was bad enough, but the names they then gave them were to utterly awful...

Chalk this up in the "Not anywhere near as big a deal as people make it out to be" column.

It's a tiny change that will make some people a lot happier with the resulting game. I see no argument for not making the switch.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"Latin"? What is this "Latin" language you speak of? Is that anything like Elven or Deep Speech? I don't recall it being an option on the Languages table. ;)

Klaus

First Post
Both names should be included. The non-latin name should be noted as the name under which commoners of the region refer to the beast, and the latin name should be its "sage" name.
This is the best of both worlds, IMHO.

And it's not like it started in 4e. Dinosaurs were a big part of Eberron, where you had Glidewings (pterosurs), Fastieths (utahraptors), etc. Just make sure to mention which real-world dinosaur this behemoth is, and you're good to go.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases