D&D 4E WotC this is something you absolutely cannot screw up in 5E like you screwed up in 4E

Dice4Hire

First Post
This is the best of both worlds, IMHO.

And it's not like it started in 4e. Dinosaurs were a big part of Eberron, where you had Glidewings (pterosurs), Fastieths (utahraptors), etc. Just make sure to mention which real-world dinosaur this behemoth is, and you're good to go.

Nah, I like behemonths being a step away from dinosaurs.

And latin names, double nah.

Fantasy people, this is fantasy.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Why not just take them out of the game entirely? Problem solved. Sure, you can include their stats in a "lost world" adventure, but do they really belong in the core rules?

Maybe I am among the minority, but in 30 years of playing D&D, I have never used dinosaurs - with the exception of the megalodon.

Iosue

Legend
They should absolutely go with the 4e names. People like to talk about "immersion", but I tell you no rule or mechanic has ever jolted me out of the D&D headspace like turning the page in a Monster Manual and coming across Latin dinosaur names.

This is an absolute dealbreaker, and WotC will not be getting my money if they go with Latin dinosaur names.*

*This is a joke.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Also, most of the TRexes depicted in D&D are actually Tarbosauri Bataar, but that's neither here nor there.

Well, the scientific community is not agreed that Tarbosaurus and Tyrannosaurus are separate genii. They may be synonymous, just the Asian and North American variants of the same beasties.

And, if you're going to be picky, it'd be Tarbosauri bataar. Italics are typical, and one should not capitalize the species name.

(This message brought to you by your local Pedant's Council.)

Klaus

First Post
Why not just take them out of the game entirely? Problem solved. Sure, you can include their stats in a "lost world" adventure, but do they really belong in the core rules?

Maybe I am among the minority, but in 30 years of playing D&D, I have never used dinosaurs - with the exception of the megalodon.
True. In a world with wyverns and dragons, dinosaurs just don't have that much impact. They'd make a great addition in a Chult or Eberron/Xen'drik product.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Both names should be included. The non-latin name should be noted as the name under which commoners of the region refer to the beast, and the latin name should be its "sage" name.

Would XP you if I could (lil' help, someone?) but apparently you make sense too regularly. :p

Let's here it for some common sense and compromise.

--SD

You're approaching this from the wrong direction. It'a a matter of linguistic consistency, dammit! How can you have a solid setting with vermisilitude and gravitas when the naming conventions are all over the place.

The Macetail Behemoth is just fine. Ankylosaurs, pshaw! Dog latin, overly scientific and technical, non-descriptive. 4e had the right idea - it just didn't go far enough!

In 5e, I look forward to seeing the Stripefur Bigcat replace the so-called 'tiger', the ugly quasi-Greek portmanteau of 'minotaur' succeeded by the Bullhead Mazegiant, ridiculous outdated Gygaxianisms like 'aboleth' smoothed into 'Skinslime Slaverfish', and deliberately obscure, exclusionary and pretentious literary references such as 'Demogorgon' made understandable and accessable with the intuitive and elegant use of 'Twoarguingbaboonhead Rottouchtentaclearmssortaaquaticdemonguy'

You know it makes sense.

Edit: and sorry if this seems overly snarky or edition-war-ish, not my intention. I just find the whole compound name thing irresistably funny...

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, while I kinda agree that this is one of those issues that only great clomping nerd boots need to make noise about, I can also see that it bugs the crap out of some people. Going back to the commonly used names of stuff isn't that bad of an idea.

But, please, no more spikey dire animals.

Greg K

Legend
I am with those that are for calling them dinosaurs. Then, let DMs reaname them for their own campaign.

And, yes, take them out of the MM (bring them back in their own supplement).

Remove ads