• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Unveils Draft of New Open Gaming License

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see. A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1432-starting-the-ogl-playtest The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator...

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see.

A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback.

The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator content badge for your products.

One important element, the ability for WotC to change the license at-will has also been addressed, allowing the only two specific changes they can make -- how you cite WotC in your work, and contact details.

This license will be irrevocable.

The OGL v1.0a is still being 'de-authorized'.

mamba

Legend
No. I mean something like, "This license permits you to combine Your Content with licensed content created by others and distribute the resulting works as authorized by this license."
yeah, section 5 is better, missed that

"You can make your Content available under any terms you choose but you may not change the terms under which we make Our Licensed Content available."

darjr

I crit!

Can you live with them banning stuff that they feel is "anti-capitalist"? Because that's what they did on DM's Guild, under the guise of a morality clause.
its not my first chp\oice but if it puts all of this behind us keeps level up and PF going and dosn't derail playtest...i can live with it

(FYI that one is ANOTHER WotC choice i disagreed with but at the time i found out about it no one was keen on helping me rail against it)

Scribe

Legend
Yeah, and out of that $300 mil, how much is DnD compared to MtG and digital gaming? Then take that amount and find out how much of the total net revenue that is, ratio wise to everything in total. Then ask how much of that is going to be lost because of an OGL announcement.

Sorry, but it's small potatoes compared to the company as a whole. The massive entertainment losses are much more likely a reason for a stock fall. Investors don't care about Dnd in general, let alone an OGL. They only care about bottom line profits. And if the OGL news doesn't impact profits significantly, they won't care. Looking at the ratio, I don't see how OGL news is impacting profits in any measurable. Most players don't care about forums or OGL. It's the reality.

Yes, D&D's contribution is small.

Thats what makes everything they have done so egregious. Its small.

What isnt small, is the public perception of these mistakes, which dramatically sway the market, because stock prices are not real, its all just perception.

rcade

Hero
yup...and that isnt on any of my wish list...but i can live with it
The only way to live with that is if you don't care whether the license is open.

Hasbro is trying legally dubious stunts to turn the OGL into any other closed license. When you see a new RPG has been produced under license for your favorite TV series or movie franchise, you know that the publisher is going to lose that license within 5 or 10 years. That's just how these things work, and it'll be the same with a closed license calling itself the new OGL.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yes, D&D's contribution is small.

Thats what makes everything they have done so egregious. Its small.
Yeah, I'm with you there.
What isnt small, is the public perception of these mistakes, which dramatically sway the market, because stock prices are not real, its all just perception.
Speculation does move markets, but I don't see it driving this one. There just aren't any solid indicators of that happening. There are other much more plausible reasons for that.

Remove ads

Remove ads