WotC Unveils Draft of New Open Gaming License

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see. A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1432-starting-the-ogl-playtest The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator...

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see.

A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback.

The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator content badge for your products.

One important element, the ability for WotC to change the license at-will has also been addressed, allowing the only two specific changes they can make -- how you cite WotC in your work, and contact details.

This license will be irrevocable.

The OGL v1.0a is still being 'de-authorized'.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Let me guess, you don't publish any content that uses the 3.5 SRD do you? Because, if you did, I imagine you wouldn't dismiss it so easily.
I DO publish OSR stuff though, which has used both 3.5 SRD AND 5.1 SRD. It's totally possible to keep putting out 3.5 stuff in the same way us OSR publishers have been doing for 2 decades. I'm not sure why this keeps getting missed.

Vaalingrade

Legend
What exactly are they putting under CC?

That's the big issue that people demanding we accept it are missing.

The 5.1 SRD isn't the nly set of game mechanics that are creating issues.

At the same time, it's all starting to make sense as to what they're actually after and willing to burn their house down over: all the monsters and spell names we were all shocked were in the SRD back in the day.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
At a certain point, you have to take "Yes," for an answer.
No, we don't. That's what the courts are for.
You might not be willing to compromise. But this is a company with a brand. They have reason to fear - especially recently (nuTSR) and especially with regard to their movie and other products coming out.
That's not a good enough reason, for me at least. They don't get to renege on their agreement because they've decided that they don't like it anymore.
In the end, "But we have to force them to allow terrible racists products for D&D," may not be the hill you want to die on.
I feel quite comfortable with that prospect, actually, save for the fact that I don't think I (we) will die here. Ensuring that the terrible racists can make whatever they want under the OGL is the only way I know for sure that everyone else can make whatever they want under the OGL; that's what makes it an open license.

Let me say this for a third time. You don't need a 3.5 SRD to have a 3.5 rules system. There was never an AD&D or B/X SRD, and yet the clones used the OGL and newer SRD to make them. Including....gasp...descending AC! There isn't more work needed than before. It's always been that way. So 3.5 fans can do what OSR fans have been doing for 20 years.
Thank you. If only some people could stop finding a reason to be mad and read.

Scribe

Legend
I DO publish OSR stuff though, which has used both 3.5 SRD AND 5.1 SRD. It's totally possible to keep putting out 3.5 stuff in the same way us OSR publishers have been doing for 2 decades. I'm not sure why this keeps getting missed.

So, again and I'm sorry if I ask a stupid question.

If I take the 5.1 CC content, and then change the names on some items, I can recreate 3.5 as a CC SRD?

Remove ads

Remove ads