WotC Unveils Draft of New Open Gaming License

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see. A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1432-starting-the-ogl-playtest The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator...

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see.

A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback.

The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator content badge for your products.

One important element, the ability for WotC to change the license at-will has also been addressed, allowing the only two specific changes they can make -- how you cite WotC in your work, and contact details.

This license will be irrevocable.

The OGL v1.0a is still being 'de-authorized'.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
My dream scenario is that Wizards puts 4e content into the new license and all the 5e 3p publishers move to ORC.

Then the 4e fans launch a massively successful revival.
I think Orcus just got issued the other day for...reasons. So you know, get it while the getting's good.

Fighter
Druid
Bard
Rogue
Paladin
Wizard
Sorcerer
Elf
Dwarf
Halfling
Half Elf
Half Orc
Magic Missile
Fireball
Haste

And so on, and so on, and so on.
Magic missle I can see... maybe fireball... most likely correct with haste, but none of the others are anything they can claim the word, just the presentation

Or we just get it right this time so we don't have to start all over again. I'm sure publishers whose livelihoods depend on this license aren't exactly eager to go through this ever again.
are you (and those publishers) ready to walk away if we can't get a better deal? If this (with hopefully some minor alterations I would like) is the best we can get, or we get the original one... will you take walking away from D&D all together and the original draconian version?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
it is getting tiring to see people goimg, um, bananas over a waiver of jury trial and sever ability provision because they’ve never read a single contract in their lives.

At a certain point, the hysteria kicked up is just that- hysteria.
Not sure what's so controversial or extreme about the take "Just because it's standard doesn't mean it's a good idea here."

But maybe I am a cool edgy bad boy and radical, experimental ideas like using contract language appropriate to the intent of the contract is like drinking milk for me, because I'm such an extreme maniac. I am absolutely a loose canon full of raw, untamed fury at standard contractual language, and if I don't watch myself, I'll probably get fired from the force for my wild and unpopular ideas like "it's not usually a good idea, as a business, to enter into an agreement with your competitor that gives them significant immunity from legal recourse."

I guess I am a real dirty Harold.

does a wheelie on his motorcycle while explosions hurl people into the air

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Awesome Blow Up GIF by Sticker Mule

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Not sure what's so controversial or extreme about the take "Just because it's standard doesn't mean it's a good idea here."

But maybe I am a cool edgy bad boy and radical, experimental ideas like using contract language appropriate to the intent of the contract is like drinking milk for me, because I'm such an extreme maniac. I am absolutely a loose canon full of raw, untamed fury at standard contractual language, and if I don't watch myself, I'll probably get fired from the force for my wild and unpopular ideas like "it's not usually a good idea, as a business, to enter into an agreement with your competitor that gives them significant immunity from legal recourse."

I guess I am a real dirty Harold.

The trouble is that the specific boilerplate provisions that you identified (and that I commented on) ... don't do that.

But sure, be cool about drinking milk.

tl;dr: "it doesn't affect me personally so I don't care"
that seems right... I mean this whole thing didn't effect me personally and I posted here, twitter (that I rarely use) and tic tok to bring attention to it... but sure if you think that's it, maybe you just aren't paying attention.

Remove ads

Remove ads