WotC Unveils Draft of New Open Gaming License

As promised earlier this week, WotC has posted the draft OGL v.1.2 license for the community to see.

A survey will be going live tomorrow for feedback.

The current iteration contains clauses which prohibit offensive content, applies only to TTRPG books and PDFs, no right of ownership going to WotC, and an optional creator content badge for your products.

One important element, the ability for WotC to change the license at-will has also been addressed, allowing the only two specific changes they can make -- how you cite WotC in your work, and contact details.

This license will be irrevocable.

The OGL v1.0a is still being 'de-authorized'.

Last edited by a moderator:

pemerton

Legend
OGL 1.0a allowed a licensee to sublicense their work, meaning their recipient licensees would enjoy not just the bits of OGC added by their licensor, but everything else up the chain, sublicensed solely through their licensor. So in other words, you'd get bits of the SRD (potentially even the whole SRD) without actually having a license with WotC.
I think this is one of the things they've specifcally wanted rid of. Under 1.2, any new user has to have their own 1.2 agreement between themselves and WotC, due to the lack of the viral sublicensing they cannot get it through other works.
Under 1.0a, I can pick up a Mongoose Pocket Player's Handbook and get the SRD content from that directly, in a license that's solely between me and Mongoose which sublicences WotCs parts to me, and thus totally uncontrollable by WotC.
The sub-licences create a licence from WotC to you. Sub-licence describes the mode of creation of the licence, not its content.

As for the substantive aspect of your post, and also this:
at the same time if they make it irrevocable (and they mean it… which is not that easy to believe) then this would not matter
The following seems like it is relevant to what you're discussing:

As for the draft OGL 1.2, I haven't tried to analyse it closely. I do notice that section 5 says the following:

5. YOU CONTROL YOUR CONTENT. You can make your Content available under any terms you choose but you may not change the terms under which we make Our Licensed Content available. . . .

You may permit the use of your Content on any terms you want. However, if any license you offer to your Licensed Work is different from the terms of this license, you must include in the Licensed Work the attribution for Our Licensed Content found in the preamble to the applicable SRD, and make clear that Our Licensed Content included in your Licensed Work is made available on the terms of this license.​

And section 2 says:

In consideration for your compliance with this license, you may copy, use, modify and distribute Our Licensed Content around the world as part of Your Licensed Works.​

So I don't see that there is any power granted to licensees to sub-license. To me it seems that if WotC were to retract its offer to licence than existing licensees would retain their entitlements under section 2. But they would not have any power to licence content pursuant to an offer that WotC has withdrawn.

Yeah. That irrevocable thing, with various clauses that still allow them to terminate at-will ;) Meanwhile, they do not appear to be able to terminate, revoke, deauthorize, or otherwise affect in any way whatsoever an agreement using the OGL where a third party is the downstream licensor to the licensee. This likely had legal minds at WotC absolutely furious that it had sat like that for 20 years.
They can terminate for breach of contract, as per section 14. Or rather, this happens automatically. Which is how it should be. Agreements ought to be kept. ;)

mamba

Legend
To be clear, the VTT is separate issue from the OGL. All the OGL says is: you have to use their VTT policy. So holding off on the OGL because of the VTT doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless you are saying you want it included in the OGL, which I don't think is ever going to happen and I am OK with that. Let them be separate.
I do not want these strong restrictions on VTTs using the OGL however, so they are not really separate, and if the can change the restrictions later, who says they won’t (sounds more like a guarantee right now)..:

I found my solution around this dilemma though, just need more ‘support’, i.e. people bringing it up in their feedback to WotC.

My solution is for them to put into the OGL that their VTT is also bound by the VTT policy. Keep it separate then, but this levels the playing field ;)

You're lines don't matter because
because someone on the internet doesn't like them...
No, they found out that certain people are just really willing to accept whatever they will give them
you mean that they accept what they are willing to accept... but you think that we are accepting anything, when we are happyish with it...
Because you actually haven't gotten anything because you have no way of assuring that what you want stays.
except I am not signing a contract... I can still switch to TORG, or Vampire or Savage World later... I am not 'locking myself in
I am saying "this is acceptable, but I reserve the right to find any future changes unacceptable.
No, there's just nothing that assures that those stay in there.
what is there that assures them I will agree to any future changes?
Uh, it'll be a bit too late by then. You've already given up the defenses and they are already in the house. Trying to fight back at that point is basically useless.
no I have NOT... the defense is "I will take my business' elsewhere
What? No, it's more like they're trying to get you to sign a contract, you say "There's no bad stuff in there, right?" and they go "Uh, yeah, suuuuuure."
wow...except like I said above, no contract, I can walk away anytime.
It's "Here is this deal"
"Okay sounds good"
if they change the deal I can say "Hey, that's not what I agreed to, and I am no longer interested"
Man, this feels like a live demonstration of how people get themselves into rug pulls.
by finding a compromise they can live with and saying they will make some suggestion but this is good enough... sounds like how MOST deals are made.
No, my argument is "It doesn't matter what price they say they are going to sell at because without a binding contract, the word of a known liar is worthless."
I;m not taking there word, I am saying "this is okay, but if you change it I may not find it okay"
If you want to trust a company that has been going around breaking contracts left and right on their word, feel free. I prefer my lines to actually be enforceable and not made up of hope and dreams.
no hope and dreams... just good old fashion self interest...

They don't "win" by changing... they win by finding the compromise and sticking to it.

if I knew that I wouldn’t be asking ;) Also that is not entirely correct. 3e was not BX or 1e either, yet compatible games were created out of it.
if you could use the 3e SRD and OGL to make 4e content (and I can't imagine 2 D&D games more different, how can they stop useing 5e to make 3e?

No no no no NO!

Look, WotC, I get that you want to de-authorize the OGL v1.0a really, really badly, but it's a complete and utter non-starter! Framing it as "but we NEED to make this the only version of the OGL available, so we can terminate products that have hateful content" doesn't make that any better; it just makes it sound better. And, as noted many times before, if you're reserving the ability to unilaterally determine what is and is not hateful, as well as the ability to cancel any such product (Section 6(f)), then the license is by definition not open!

Agreed. They're just using hateful content as a convenient bogeyman. Frankly I'm almost surprised that they haven't tried to claim that the new OGL prevents terrorism, cybercrime, and child abuse as well.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases