D&D 5E Would much Income should my players "make"?

Stalker0

Legend
This is pretty awesome. I'm going to have to remember this for sometime.
And funny enough mostly how I run it:)

again to reiterate, this is more of a thought excerise to satiate player curiosity. My players have the money they need for the missions their on, thats how’s I’ve always done it. But the players have grown curious what that number would actually look like. Regardless of the answer the gameplay won’t change.

to the question about about spoils. The party gets to loan out certain amount of equipment from the armory for each mission (similar to James Bond getting gear from Q before heading out). But anything they find becomes Taraniyan property. It works wonderfully because the players get to try out different gear each mission and I never have to worry about handing them something that becomes a balance issue

They should be paid enough that they are not interested in revolution or insurrection, but not so much that they can execute a coup.

That is to say, they should be paid in titles and responsibilities, not gold.

Davies

Legend
Traditionally I have handwaved "useless 5e gold", the party generally has the money they need to do the things they need to do, and live luxurious lifestyles (at least compared to non-Taranyans). However, over time my players have become more and more curious as to how much money they actually have, and so I decided to actually consider it.

So I would be interested in thoughts from everyone. For high end military members of the most prestigious area of the military, in the most high end "country" in the multiverse, what do you think the monthly income would look like?

What I'd suggest would be first to work out how much it costs to live a luxurious lifestyle in Taranya -- which should probably be even higher than the suggested 'aristocratic' lifestyle costs in the the Player's Handbook. 40 gp per day sounds like a good starting place.

Every day of their employment, they have gotten paid enough to live that lifestyle, plus 1.5 times as much for expenses. So, with the earlier assumption, they have disposable income of about 60 gp per day. (Obviously, you can give them more money for expenses if you like.)

However, they've probably had situations where they had to use some of that disposable income, rather than just saving it up, so once you've come up with a total, have each player roll 1d20 and subtract the result from 96%, then multiply the total by that percentage to determine just how much gp they have.

If, after this, the numbers are higher than you'd like, you might want to ask the players what sort of non-liquid assets they've purchased -- art objects, trinkets, properties where the rental income is equal to taxes and maintenance, that sort of thing.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
So in my campaign, the party are a group belonging to the Ataridan, a military arm of the city of Taranya whose primary mission is to go through planar gates to explore, establish relationships, fight bad guys, all the good stuff.

For those people who are familiar with the Stargate series of movie/shows, its very similar.

Now Taranya is set up as one of the greatest cities in the multiverse (and its own city-state). Everything is bigger and better there, and it is a high magic place.

Traditionally I have handwaved "useless 5e gold", the party generally has the money they need to do the things they need to do, and live luxurious lifestyles (at least compared to non-Taranyans). However, over time my players have become more and more curious as to how much money they actually have, and so I decided to actually consider it.

So I would be interested in thoughts from everyone. For high end military members of the most prestigious area of the military, in the most high end "country" in the multiverse, what do you think the monthly income would look like?
What ever you the GM think they can conceivably throw on the metaphorical company card or get their patron's accounting guy to ok the purchase order on?

Remove ads