• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would WFRP be an interesting game system to use in Forgotten Realms?

Emirikol

Adventurer
Do you mean WFRP 1e or 2e? 2e is a much more balanced system and includes rules for rituals etc. The magic system is also much better, albeit lower power than D&D, but I expect it would play well for keeping things like a typical "low level D&D game".

2E of course (2005). It's just assumed.

1e came out 20+ years ago and is extinct along with the likes of "Gamma World" and "Skyrealms of Jorune" . 1e's just not relevant to any modern gaming conversation IMHO (same for AD&D or 0D&D).

jh

Last edited:

kitsune9

Adventurer

In the olden days (1E, 2E) people talked about zero level characters. Makes me wonder what it would be like to play WFRP in the Forgotten Realms. Start as a Rat Catcher, Troll Slayer or Zealot in a D&D world!

Obviously a tougher, darker D&D world like Greyhawk would be a more logical choice, but what about the Realms?

Your thoughts?

Wow, WFRP in FR? That would be an interesting combo, but kind of think FR's high magic, high power setting wouldn't jive with the ruleset. I know when I play or run FR, I intend to have characters lobbing 9th level destruction whereas WFRP doesn't really do that.

Someone said that they use it to run a Pirates of the Carribean. I can definitely see that working.

Obryn

Hero
It may just be a failure of imagination on my part, but I tend to think WFRP's system and setting are pretty tightly bound-together. Not as tightly as, say, Earthdawn - but there's still a lot of baggage to consider.

I'm sure it could be done, but I'm not sure it would be worth the work, if that makes sense.

-O

Mournblade94

Adventurer

Well you know what they say about those who assume...

1e came out 20+ years ago and is extinct along with the likes of "Gamma World" and "Skyrealms of Jorune" . 1e's just not relevant to any modern gaming conversation IMHO although for some reason people still reference that stuff from mouldy boxes in their basement (buried under Gamma World, Boot Hill and Skyrealms of Jorune games) ;)
jh

Either the Gamesworkshop version of Warhammer or the FFG version of WFRP would work fine in the 4e Forgotten Realms. Replace chaos with the spellplague and you have everything you need.

It is pointless to use even the 4e realms without the gods so you would have to either make new spell lists for each god, or find a suitable analogue list from an WFRP god for each FR god.

Henry

Autoexreginated

Mal Reynolds: "Define Interesting."
Wash: "Oh God, Oh God, We're all going to die?"

I think the character of the Realms might be too different from the assumptions that the Warhammer game makes -- but it's doable, the PCs would likely be tackling the kinds of things that 1st level characters are tackling, except it would be for the rest of their lives. :)

Yes, it can work in the Forgotten Realms. 4th Edition FR is the best suited to it, but you'll need to make a few changes to canon. This shouldn't be a problem as the 4E FR was built to allow for a great deal of DM customization and influence.

As others pointed out, the most obvious problem you're going to face is how magic works. In 4E FR you can use the Spellplague to replace a lot of 'chaos' themed things. The setting overall has taken on a darker tone (though it still isn't as dark as Warhammer). You may need to change some regions to better suit the mood, but overall it is very easy to accomplish.

It is harder to use for previous editions due to the way magic works. With Mystra dead, the Weave gone, the Spellplague, and a 100 year time jump... a DM has a very free hand.

Well that's not really the Realms he asked for, but pretty much points out ya'll have to kill the setting or the low magic rules to make it work. I myself would rework the rules not the setting

CapnZapp

Legend
I would say the reverse question is easier to answer:

Is Forgotten Realms an interesting game world to use with WFRP rules? Well, not really, because much of what makes the Realms the Realms is built upon high-magic concepts that simply aren't supported in WFRP.

That said, you could of course use WFRP for Forgotten Realms. It would just be a very different game, where the player characters are the ordinary people generally ignored by the Superman-quality high-level heroes. To make sense (to me), you wouldn't just run an ordinary adventure (neither WFRP or FR), but specifically a scenario written with this cross-over in mind; where these flying fireballin' super-heroes are the backdrop of the players' adventure.

1e came out 20+ years ago and is extinct along with the likes of "Gamma World" and "Skyrealms of Jorune" . 1e's just not relevant to any modern gaming conversation IMHO (same for AD&D or 0D&D).
That is not my experience. I would say there's a fair likelyhood that 1E pops up in just about any thread on WFRP. (Take this thread as an illustrative example... ;))

In fact, head on over to any of the active Warhammer rpg forums, and you will be surprised at the number of forumites that ardently keep to the first edition only!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads