Would you allow this?

G

Guest 6801328

This is a hypothetical situation: I'm asking not because it occurred at the table but because I think different POV's about roleplaying/rules might result in different answers, which might be interesting.

Situation: a player wants to play an Aasimar, but thinks the flying is kind of cheesy/OP, so describes the character as having burn-scarred stumps instead of wings (with an appropriate backstory explaining how this happened.) The player asks the DM for nothing in exchange for giving up this ability.

Many levels later, the player finds him/herself in a desperate situation where a short burst of flight will save the party from TPK. He/she narrates that in a burst of divine energy, newly formed wings burst forth from the stumps, and the character proceeds to fly, as per RAW in SCAG.

Would you allow it? Why/why not?

cmad1977

Hero
Yup. Because I’m not afraid of letting the players have control over the narrative. Plus it’s a pretty creative idea on the players part.

Also: awesome.

So... yes.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Not trying to get something they didn’t already have, if I were allowing Aasimar in the first place, plus it sounds pretty darned cool, so I’d be down with it.

Zethnos

Explorer
That sounds like it would make an awesome story. I would love to see that happen.

On another note, if the player didn't just want to all the sudden... wings... They could also explain it similarly to this: They are already divinely favored creatures, weather you are playing them as a cleric, paladin, etc. or not. You could say in a moment of panic the gods sprouted wings of divine energy from which normal wings use to be in order to help the Aasimar save their friends. Then after the danger and conflict are over they vanish. If they wanted to have the ability to fly after a certain level or something you can then use that example and say that "anytime the Aasimar or something they care about is perceived to be in great danger, they sprout divine wings that grant them the ability to fly."

Last edited:

I would allow it especially if the 'divine energy burst' could be figured into the story in a way that helps the story.

I find flight as a starting ability at first level too much and wouldn't allow this but many levels later wouldn't have an issue at all.

Les Moore

Explorer
My problem with this issue would be three-fold. First, there's no documentation that Aasimar can re-grow or regenerate wings which have been severed or scorched off. Second, the sudden sprouting of full-strength-wings regenerated that quickly? Third, the PC can now use these wings, without any
adjustment period, or practice?

If another member of the party, better yet, two casters, could provide re-enforcement, or healing spells, I'd accept it.

Yes, but not as physical wings, rather as wings made of that divine energy, which then dissipates once the need for them is over, perhaps to return in the future if the situation is again dire enough to need them.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Yes, but not as physical wings, rather as wings made of that divine energy, which then dissipates once the need for them is over, perhaps to return in the future if the situation is again dire enough to need them.

This.

Yes. The whole idea would be very cool. Not overpowered, easy to fit in, good imagery and great for the story in a very tense moment. Love it.

Remove ads