D&D 2E Would you be interested in a 1e or 2e combat simulator to play with?

Greggy C

Hero
Back in 2e days I would balance the final big boss battle by determining each sides total dmg/round and compare AC, total hit points. It worked quite well.

For 5e I wrote a full blown simulator (dndcombat.com)

Do you think a 2e AI simulator is worth doing?

Its mostly for nostalgia of course, I don't imagine there are many people playing 2e anymore. Perhaps 1e would make more sense since smaller scope and even simpler?

I seem to remember 2e fights being a lot more exciting, and I am wondering if a simulator would showcase that.

Plus it would be quite interesting (maybe its just me) to see what kind of monsters (e.g. demons) a 2e party could fight compared to 5e. I remember demons and devils being scarier.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I would be interested in such a simulator. I would think that a 2e one would actually be simpler, since the combat rules are clearer and more straight-forward.

hedgeknight

Explorer
I don't imagine there are many people playing 2e anymore. Perhaps 1e would make more sense since smaller scope and even simpler?
It may surprise you to know there is still a lot of love for 2e. I currently run a 2e Greyhawk adventure on another forum, and I'm gearing up to begin a 2e Greyhawk campaign set post-wars somewhere in the Yeomanry and Hold of Sea Princes regions. It's going to be a lot of fun.
Also, 1e is alive and well in several forums I frequent. So, in a roundabout way I'm saying I would definitely be interested in a 2e simulator (and a 1e as well).

Greggy C

Hero
It may surprise you to know there is still a lot of love for 2e. I currently run a 2e Greyhawk adventure on another forum, and I'm gearing up to begin a 2e Greyhawk campaign set post-wars somewhere in the Yeomanry and Hold of Sea Princes regions. It's going to be a lot of fun.
Also, 1e is alive and well in several forums I frequent. So, in a roundabout way I'm saying I would definitely be interested in a 2e simulator (and a 1e as well).
Maybe the thing is 5e is so huge, it just makes other editions seem so small lol.

I've been buying up all the 1e and 2e hardback and boxed sets, classic modules. I loved those editions a lot and my nostalgia is super strong right now. I'm envisioning reading everything and playing through for fun when I eventually retire (probably a pipe dream).

I wouldn’t use it (because I ru. 3.5e), but I encourage you to make it. Why not?

I’ve run “battles” with up to about 150 on a side by actually rolling the dice in AD&D and 3.5e. It takes a lot of dice, but it’s fun once a decade or so.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Sure, it would be fun. Actually, this is the first time I've seen your 5e combat sim. Very cool!

FriendlyFiend

Explorer
I’d love a 2e sim. Of all the DND editions, it’s still the one I understand most instinctively - I’d be fascinated to see what you come up with.

Li Shenron

Legend
I don't play 2e but why not? The 5e combat simulator looks very good!

Can you share some details on the algorithm? For example I am interested in knowing how does it fare with a standard 4-6 PCs group against larger monsters group, does the algorithm randomise targets or does it focus-fire? Because when I run it e.g. against 8-12 orcs I can see the success % drop pretty fast.

Greggy C

Hero
I don't play 2e but why not? The 5e combat simulator looks very good!

Can you share some details on the algorithm? For example I am interested in knowing how does it fare with a standard 4-6 PCs group against larger monsters group, does the algorithm randomise targets or does it focus-fire? Because when I run it e.g. against 8-12 orcs I can see the success % drop pretty fast.
5e is super sensitive about getting outnumbered, more so than I remembered in 2e. Target selection is not random, but there are a slew of factors, it starts with who is closest, but works to not bunch up melee on the nearest target, is a little sticky to the last person you attacked. AOE spells are more about catching the most people, etc.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases