D&D 4E Would you buy 4E if it were not open/had no licenses for 3rd party companies?

Would you buy 4E if it were not open/had no licenses for 3rd party companies?

Roman

First Post
There has been some recent speculation on whether 4E will in fact be open and if there will be a GSL. I am wondering whether this would affect your purchasing decisions regarding 4E. So... would you buy 4E if it were not open/had no licenses for 3rd party companies or fans?

Please vote on the poll and elaborate on your thoughts in the thread.

SuperJosh

First Post
Yea I would buy it if it were only 1st party. We usually do not use 3rd party publications since a lot of them tend to be immensely broken.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I would really be sad if companies like Goodman Games couldn't easily publish D&D material, but I'd still buy the game if it was "completely closed."

Slander

Explorer
I'd definitely prefer an open-ish system. I like the adventure and monster books from third parties. But as far as rules go, our group tends to remain with core products only.

Edit: So I voted "Purchase even if closed"

RigaMortus2

First Post
Open content for RPGs means little to me. If I like an RPG, I will buy it. I don't base it on if "the other" guy is making stuff for it too. Grant it, some 3rd party stuff can be good, but most of the RPGs I get are closed anyway.

Propheous_D

First Post
I think that when it comes to something like RPGs the main system has to stand on its own. That being said people have to want to play it regardless of 3rd parties. While 3rd parties enhance a product like this, they certainly don't make or break it. In fact I don't know many RPG's that support 3rd parties as much as DnD has since 3rd.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases