Would you buy a rules free/light evil/mature product

Would you purchase an evil/mature game product if available?

• Yes, I'm a consenting adult

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Yes, if I were a consenting adult

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I prefer my heroes to be good when they kill things

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Maybe, depends on who wrote it and how it was presented

Votes: 31 41.3%

Lancelot

Adventurer
I didn't see a "No, I don't really see the point in such products" option.

I DM evil characters from time-to-time. Heck, even at best, some of my players tend towards dark shades of gray. However, I see no need for a rules supplement that specifically details any or all of the following: torture, sex, drugs, corruption, vile magic, genital circumference (thanks, F.A.T.A.L... thanks a bunch), etc.

If I want those elements (and sometimes I do), I can hand-wave them in as variations on existing rules, or simply narrative elements. I'm no prude by any stretch of the imagination, and I've DM'ed some pretty dark stuff (if required, in context). But a book that specifically codifies these elements smacks of pandering to me.

In the interests of disclosure, I did purchase the 3e Book of Vile Darkness: primarily for the archfiends (demon princes, archdevils). Most of the rest of the book went unused, and some parts of it (e.g. artwork of eeevil dudes with heavy body modification/piercing/scarification killing obviously good creatures in the most bloody way possible) just made me roll my eyes.

dm4hire

Explorer
Seeing as how you listed what was quite possibly two of the worst books to come out of 3.x...?

Yeah. No.

The inclusion of those products was meant as a referrence and both could be rewritten and presented better. Not everything presented in both books was completely useless so a rewrite to update them and make them more generic wouldn't be a bad thing.

Given some of the answers I'm wondering if perhaps the product line wouldn't be more of a GM thing outside of the setting book?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads