D&D General Would you like there to be a new publication of Dark Sun?

Would you like there to be a new publication of Dark Sun?

• Yes (with or without additional conditions)

Votes: 88 65.7%
  • No (with or without additional conditions)

Votes: 46 34.3%

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
At some point, any DMs who want to run Dark Sun should just bite the bullet and pull their old 2E Dark Sun material off the shelf and run it using that... while putting in the extra bit of work to create their own rules for the bits of DS mechanics the game currently doesn't have. Because the odds are fairly strong that no matter WHO eventually created a DS mock-up for 5E... the DM would probably not like how it got adapted.

Creating new campaigns in non-standard D&D fantasy is not the time for DMs to be lazy and want other people to do their work for them. If you have very idiosyncratic ideas about these games and settings... you gotta do the work yourself so you get what you want.

At some point, any DMs who want to run Dark Sun should just bite the bullet and pull their old 2E Dark Sun material off the shelf and run it using that... while putting in the extra bit of work to create their own rules for the bits of DS mechanics the game currently doesn't have. Because the odds are fairly strong that no matter WHO eventually created a DS mock-up for 5E... the DM would probably not like how it got adapted.

Creating new campaigns in non-standard D&D fantasy is not the time for DMs to be lazy and want other people to do their work for them. If you have very idiosyncratic ideas about these games and settings... you gotta do the work yourself so you get what you want.

I found the Darksun monsters in the recent Spelljammer book(s) were enough of a starting point to create my own mash-up of the two settings which I found far more interesting than either of the original versions by themselves.

So, personally I don’t need a 5E Darksun as I’ve already got one I’m happy with. But I’d check it out if they did release one, as I’ve been enjoying the old settings they’ve reworked so far.

Remove ads