• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you quit a game if....

Water Bob

Adventurer
I've picked up a new player that's never gamed with me before. So far, I've got a good impression of him. He's a good role player and is fitting into my game well.

One thing he says bothers me, though. He says that, (he's warning me up front), if his character dies, he will quit the campaign. He's says he does this because he's got so much invested in his character that he just can't have fun running a different one in the same world. "Conan doesn't die," he says. "James Bond doesn't die. And, when I play Skyrim, if my character gets killed, I get to reload and keep playing with the same character."

This is utterly foreign to me. I don't like it when PC's die. I want my players succeed.

But, I'd feel like a sellout if I promised my players that they would never die. I don't think the game would be the same without that edge in there.

My players says that I should keep that in mind when designing encounters--not to make them so hard that the PCs dying becomes likely.

While I do understand that scaling encounters is necessary, I feel like my integrity will be tarnished if I ever made a pact with the players to not kill their character and only design encounters where the PCs always win.

So, I've decided that, if I lose this player, I lose him, no matter how much "fun" and "good" he's bringing to the game. I refuse to do what he asks.

I won't do what he asks. I'd rather not play at all than do that.

And, this thing about not playing if his character dies really irks me. I mean, what if he, as a player, does something phenomenally stupid with his character. I'm supposed to scrap the entire campaign because his character is dead?

No, that's not going to happen.

Am I alone in my opinion. Do others agree with him?

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Conan and James Bond only have plot armor because their stories are already written, and therefore already finished. An RPG session is more like a play being acted out while the script is being written by both the director (GM) and the actors (players). Sure, you may have a golden ending in mind, but it's up to the players and the dice if they get there.

So, I am with you. It's not worth it to tank a game because of one player's attitude. My character is a bunch of stuff on some paper and in my imagination.

Derfmancher

First Post
I'm with you Zhaleskra. Considering I am a pretty much brand new DM about to make a massive undertaking (Kingmaker) with a massive party (8). I operate on a thought that players can be there or not honestly. We rarely have everyone, so I have become practiced at writing off reasons someones PC is gone.

Enough about me and on to your point! I think you are perfectly valid. Tell him you hear him but you make no promises as some things are just a roll of the dice. This should leave him feeling decent about it, and leave you not feeling dirty. Keep running your encounters like you have been. Obviously don't try to force him out by killing him off, but by the same token, don't go out of your way to save his hide either.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I would do as you did. To me, always winning is not fun, and indeed this can lead to all kinds of trouble.

Sure, let's steal form the Ancient Red Dragon, we will not die.
Stupid or not, we always win.

Hopefully the player is not that bad, but it really becomes an unrealistic world.

Of course you could say he comes back with resurrection, unless he or you have a problem with that. I think I would.

Crothian

First Post
Dieing is not the only way to fail. In my games characters rarely die but they fail a heck of a lot. So, don't kill him. When the characters get KOed make them captured. Or even worse they wake up with the bare cloths with few HP and nothing else next to some nondescript trail. In many D&D games Dieing is better then losing everything you own. Dieing is like reset but having to stick with the same character and over come many different types of failure is a true challenge.

Another option that I've done with a TPK is have everyone wake up in the Afterlife and have them earn their way back to the mortal realm. That can also be a lot of fun.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Dieing is not the only way to fail. In my games characters rarely die but they fail a heck of a lot. So, don't kill him. When the characters get KOed make them captured. Or even worse they wake up with the bare cloths with few HP and nothing else next to some nondescript trail. In many D&D games Dieing is better then losing everything you own. Dieing is like reset but having to stick with the same character and over come many different types of failure is a true challenge.

Another option that I've done with a TPK is have everyone wake up in the Afterlife and have them earn their way back to the mortal realm. That can also be a lot of fun.

I find failing like this works with some groups and not others. With the right group, yes, these are great ideas.

Elf Witch

First Post
I think some players feel this way especially if they have played with really lethal DMs.

I can understand some what where he is coming from. I hate to lose my character especially in a stupid meaningless way.

I run a low death game I have things like action points and fate points that help take the huge possibility of death out of the game. Death is there but there are mechanics that help.

You need to talk to this player. I don't know how lethal your game is but everyone should be on the same page. He might not be a good fit for your table.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Tell him it's fine... you found a way around it.

Then, when the character dies, reincarnate him as a small forest animal.

Alternately, bring the character back as a simulacrum, a magical being in total servitude to the wizard who created him.

Remember that Conan and James Bond have been played by different actors, over time. Regeneration/reincarnation is not completely out of line with the player's request. Conan, James Bond, and Tarzan as Time Lords.. now THAT would be an adventure!

Whatever happens happens. Adventuring is a full contact sport and sometimes adventurers die. If he quits oh well. Let it be his decision. In any case, removing any actual threats in the campaign to ensure the survival of make believe people doesn't seem like a satisfying alternative.

Remove ads