Would you rather have Expertise or Advantage on a roll?

Which would you rather have?

• Advantage

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Expertise

Votes: 42 73.7%

Slit518

Adventurer
If you had to choose one, would you rather have Expertise or Advantage on a roll?

Let's say this choice would effect your character from level 1 all the way to level 20.

We would have to weigh the benefits of each -

Expertise -
+2 to roll
+3 to roll
+4 to roll
+5 to roll
+6 to roll

Expertise basically gets better as you advance, where as Advantage always stays the same.

Advantage -
If I am not mistaken it is determined Advantage is the equivalent of a +5 to the roll, unless the math on that has changed.

I should state that you are proficient in said roll.

Last edited:

The Old Crow

Explorer
Expertise.

Why? Because if I don't have Advantage, it is still possible to also create Advantage, but if I don't have Expertise, nothing will get me Expertise.

Slit518

Adventurer
Expertise.

Why? Because if I don't have Advantage, it is still possible to also create Advantage, but if I don't have Expertise, nothing will get me Expertise.

Ranks in Rogue or Bard would.

But I understand what you are saying. Advantage is more common without having to force yourself to take levels in a class to grant Expertise otherwise.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If you had to choose one, would you rather have Expertise or Advantage on a roll?

Let's say this choice would effect your character from level 1 all the way to level 20.

We would have to weigh the benefits of each -

Expertise -
+2 to roll
+3 to roll
+4 to roll
+5 to roll
+6 to roll

Expertise basically gets better as you advance, where as Advantage always stays the same.

Advantage -
If I am not mistaken it is determined Advantage is the equivalent of a +5 to the roll, unless the math on that has changed.
In the best case scenario (need an 11+ on the d20) it's a +5. The actual average goes from a 10.5 to a 13.8.

The Old Crow

Explorer
Ranks in Rogue or Bard would.

But I understand what you are saying. Advantage is more common without having to force yourself to take levels in a class to grant Expertise otherwise.

If I forced myself to take Rogue or Bard levels to get Expertise, then I would have Expertise. But I could still do things while playing to generate favorable circumstances, and thus also get advantage. If I had a class ability that somehow gave me Advantage, having favorable circumstances would not somehow gain me Expertise, or even more Advantage. So Expertise seems like the better thing to just have all the time, and leave Advantage as something to gain when there is an advantage.

flametitan

Explorer
Expertise because it raises the absolute lowest and highest I can roll. Advantage changes the likelihood of results, but not the range of results.

Shiroiken

Legend
It would really depend on the type of roll. Attacks have numerous ways of gaining advantage, so expertise would be better overall. I like advantage on saving throws, because it gives protection against bad rolls. Ability checks (which is probably what this is about) might be better with expertise, because it raises your potential maximum.

IME, the DM very seldom will assign Disadv or Adv on an ability check that he or she calls for. Therefore, Most of the time, the +5 (on average) of having Advantage beats having Expertise until level 12 and matches it until level 17. Assuming you start a campaign at level 1, that’s a lot of game time where having Advantage has the... um ... Advantage over having Expertise.

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
IME, the DM very seldom will assign Disadv or Adv on an ability check that he or she calls for. Therefore, Most of the time, the +5 (on average) of having Advantage beats having Expertise until level 12 and matches it until level 17. Assuming you start a campaign at level 1, that’s a lot of game time where having Advatage has the... um ... advatage over having Expertise.
The help action is quite often applicable to skill checks.

Remove ads