Wow, Fiendform is broken!

Thanee

First Post
Yesterday, I took a closer look to the spell Fiendform from MoF.

This spell surely seems way out of bounds to me (sounds more like a 9th level spell!?).

It allows you to become an Erinye (sp? don't have my books here) - for example - with ALL extraordinary, spell-like and supernatural abilities, which include, but are not limited to... Polymorph Self at will (free healing) and more importantly Teleport without Error at will... And all that with a duration of 1 minute per caster level!!! :eek: That's a lot of Teleports without Error at one lower spell level! Sure, you cannot take anyone with you (50 lbs limit), but still... a lot of power for a 6th level spell!

BTW, would a good-aligned mage who uses this spell become evil-aligned for the duration?

Do you take on any of the personality traits, that come with the devilish form (it's similar to Polymorph Self, so I guess not)?

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
since there's no mention of it as written, there shouldn't be alignment changes or personality changes due to casting the spell. That being said, I agree that it's an incredibly powerful spell, and would put it at 9th lvl myself.

Archer

First Post
9th level spell? That's the realm of shapechange. There is a cap on how many times you can heal by changing form per day. Not being able to take people with you when you teleport is a significant disadvantage. How many times do you need to teleport without error during the duration of the spell?

I was going to say how much can you do looking like a devil but of course you can just polymorph back to an approximation of yourself and get +10 on disguise attempts to be yourself since your natural form is the devil for the duration of fiendform.

I think 6th level is appropriate. Its more in the range of mass haste, true seeing or antimagic field than in the realm of limited wish let alone wish and shapechange. Its not so much of a stretch to say you can be anything fiendish that you can summon.

The spell has an evil descriptor so while you don't feel evil you will detect that way.

Limiting it to summon 5 limits you to CR3 instead of CR7 which makes the spell about 1/16 as powerful. Nothing unbalancing about things you can be with summon 1-5. If anything it becomes underpowered.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
I was just stressing the fact, that this 6th level spell allows for multiple Teleports without Error as compared to the 7th level spell, which does not grant a plethora of other abilities as well.

Of course, the 50 lbs limit is a big disadvantage, but it still seems just too good to me.

About that errata, is that found on the WotC page?

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Archer said:
There is a cap on how many times you can heal by changing form per day.

Per day? Or per spell?

Casting Polymorph Self over and over again (ending it immediately) should result in healing character level hit points per round (twice as much, if hasted).

Bye
Thanee

Archer

First Post
p. 93, Fiendform, 1st paragraph:
Change "...summoned by summon monster I-VI." to "...summoned by summon monster I-V."

Its in the MoF errata pdf which is available in the errata section of wizards.com like all the other errata, yes.

Its not published errata yet but there will be a limit on how much healing you can get from changing form using wildshape/polymorph in a 24 hr period. I'm fairly sure the limit is 7.

nharwell

Explorer
Archer said:
p. 93, Fiendform, 1st paragraph:
Change "...summoned by summon monster I-VI." to "...summoned by summon monster I-V."

Its in the MoF errata pdf which is available in the errata section of wizards.com like all the other errata, yes.

Its not published errata yet but there will be a limit on how much healing you can get from changing form using wildshape/polymorph in a 24 hr period. I'm fairly sure the limit is 7.

I believe you're thinking of the Sage's ruling regarding Evershifting Form , the 10th level ability for Shifters. He said that a shifter should be limited to "healing" 9 times/day -- he made no mention of limitation on healing regarding any other form of polymorph or shapechange.

drnuncheon

Explorer
nharwell said:

I believe you're thinking of the Sage's ruling regarding Evershifting Form , the 10th level ability for Shifters. He said that a shifter should be limited to "healing" 9 times/day -- he made no mention of limitation on healing regarding any other form of polymorph or shapechange.

So, a person who can shift shape whenever they want (with wild shape) can only heal 9 times/day, but a person who can shift shape whenever they want (with polymorph self) can heal as much as they want?

That sounds awfully like clutching at straws to me.

J
..bet you could get the Sage to agree to it though...
...until he changed his mind...

Vecna

First Post
drnuncheon said:

So, a person who can shift shape whenever they want (with wild shape) can only heal 9 times/day, but a person who can shift shape whenever they want (with polymorph self) can heal as much as they want?

That sounds awfully like clutching at straws to me.

J
..bet you could get the Sage to agree to it though...
...until he changed his mind...

Just shift into a form with fast healing.
At low levels, a Goblin from Monster of Faerun has 1 HD & fast healing.
Polymorph doesn't get Ex abilities, so they cannot benefit from fast healing.

Remove ads