Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path

KazMx

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path

The first book, is one of the best introductions I've encountered, it has a climatic moment right out of the box. While striving for survival in the Kenabres Underground, the adventure path starts giving a clue on what is happening, but without naming the plot all of a sudden. Retaking the city is a spot on moment that gives the players a cinematic feel of a epic clash. The missions to retake the stronghold, cleanse the are, go to the other realms and back for the last stand is what makes this AP one of the bests.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
1 out of 5 rating for Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path

I played into Book 3 as a player - my first paladin, actually - and it was like being on a railroad with no windows. It's Paizo's typical execution: a great story idea detailed & sequenced by a rigid plot itself made up of encounters that are mostly there to generate XP and often do nothing to promote or flesh out the story. The idea of fighting demons in an epic struggle is a great one - really, it's one of those awesome campaign ideas that would likely spark the interest of any fantasy roleplayer. But WOTR is like almost every other Paizo AP: encounters for XP, a thin metaplot, and so much of the story left on the GM that the GM might as well write his own campaign. Perhaps Paizo should offer a discounted AP line, consisting only of their great ideas, and stat blocks across many character levels, leaving the session and story creation to GMs.

Bravesword

First Post

This Adventure Path has one of the most epic and grandiose ideas from Paizo for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and for the Pathfinder Campaign Seting (Golarion) as well. As a Gamemaster, I own all the six books and I am personally adapting this Adventure Path to my Forgotten Realms homebrew campaign. The history has a great objective to be fulfilled (end the threat of a Demon Lord that seeks to tear the reality and open a passage to the Abyss), that can be played either as described by the book or in a way that allows more adaptations and world building from dedicated GMs (I personally enjoy this second alternative). The villains are well described and have tone and attitude, and even the NPCs that help the players in their quest have their own specific goals, personality and purpose. Some mature themes are also well addressed, such as redemption, corruption and sacrifice, making this Adventure Path more than “enter-the-lair-kill-the-dragon-get-the-treasure” and hack´n slash from several other adventures (please note that I´m not against this approach, you can even play Wrath of the Righteous this way, but it is important to say that it offers you much more!).The use of the mythic rules from Mythic Adventurers reflect the heroic journey that is possible to be undertaken within this Adventure Path. One thing worth mentioning is that the GM shall be more experienced and ready to handle these monsters and enemies accordingly, because the players with mythic abilities can easily overcome some of the most challenging ones without much effort. Each book also describes as an option the possibility to run the whole campaign without the mythich rules. However, I would not miss the opportunity to use them, they are awesome! By the end of the day, a critical hit from Paizo! Highly recommended!

Starfox

Adventurer

Rewritten after actually playing it through.

This is a crusade against demons, and sticks very closely to this theme. The plot is very heroic. From the outset, the players are the chosen ones, and each adventure only serves to highlight how special they are. Allies give them high regard, and enemies soon take notice and plot their destruction. The player's guide features a number of campaign traits, and unlike other such traits from other adventure paths, these actually have an effect on the action. Part three has a heroic moment for each character depending on their chosen trait (try and avoid having several characters with the same trait). And this high regard for plot goes throughout the series - there are lots of interesting NPCs, plots, and situations geared for good characters to stand tall.

The first part begins with the characters fortuitously saved from a great cataclysm, only to fall into a dungeon. While this allows little player choice, it highlights how they are special and sets them on the path to overcome trials and triumph in the end. The second path is an actual crusade - the players lead a force of paladins to capture and hold an important citadel. Path three is about consolidating their hold on the citadel and about personal development. Part four moves the conflict into the planes, and parts five and six are mostly extra-planar. While I don't really like this much extra-planar adventuring (if feels kind of cheap to add an extra layer of unreality to a game played in the imagination), the later parts are still high-quality and full of interesting moments.

The adventure path is a relatively narrow path with a few excursions allowed but no major deviations, it feels less constraining in this case than in other adventure paths. The genre allows for this better than most, and there are many times where the players can choose one branch or another. I am planning to play this adventure path in the spring, and think it will be a very interesting experience.

Towards the end, the power curve of mythic characters blew up. he game suggests that 2 mythic tiers are about equivalent to one level, but I think the relationship is more 1:1. Mythic rules make mincemeat of the action economy, and with a group of mostly full-bab characters this forced me to quadruple all hit points and increase both attack bonus and AC by five. T

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path

I loved the epic quest to save the world from hordes of oncoming demons, as well as some of the colorful NPCs in the story. However, because you really need the Mythic Adventures book, and all the extra rules involved with it, I can't give it 5 stars. I'd rather they have made MA as something you could add on to the Adventure Path and not made it a requirement.

Ackbladder

Explorer
2 out of 5 rating for Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path

I've only played half way through this, so can't comment on the latter parts of the AP. However, the Mythic rules are so lame and broken that I can't imagine even a stellar storyline could overcome the mechanical deficiencies.I'm saddened, because I think the start of this is fantastic, and one of the better introductions to an AP I've seen. After that, it seems a slow, tortuous slide downhill. I had absolutely no interest in the mass combat rules (seemed lame and overly simple, totally lacking in any meaningful decision making). The characters don't get much in the way of meaningful choices, and the villains are pretty much black and white and fairly predictable. Maybe the AP gets better once your into the latter volumes, but the Mythic rules just get worst according to 1) a thorough reading of the rules and 2) the 400+ post cries for help from people trying to jury rig a fix for this AP on the Paizo forums, so I'm not inclined to even try to stick it out. Nor will I waste my time on anything that even sniffs at the Mythic rules (Fleet Charge my ass!).

JLant

First Post

Liked the jaunt to the abyss and the political entanglements found therein.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter

The opening scene of the first book had me excited and it dropped off a ledge from there. From the idiotic mythic rules that were so unbalanced to the rocket tag combat, our group and even the dm were sick if it, tried dropping the mythic rules but it left a bad taste in our collective RPG mouths likes a bad can of Dr Pepper. Easily the worst AP they put out.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer

The Mythic Rules are so broken that ruined this AP. I played it and it was the EASIEST D&D ADVENTURE I ever experienced, in a very disappointing sense. As an example, the Demon Lord Baphomet was easily defeated in the first round by the invincible PCs.

Anyway, the story and the NPCs aren't epic IMO, just more powerful. Moreover, some moments were really expression of bad taste.

Disappointing experience. Worst of the Adventure Paths, by far.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases