• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WTF is "cold iron", and why's it so special?

Weiley31

Legend
Why do you think that humans aren't natural, or that things they do aren't natural?
Technically, humans do a lot of things that aren't natural in the eyes of Nature. The whole notion of Marriage/Love/staying with a single partner throughout your whole life? Nature is straight up going "No, no *THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS" in regard to reproduction and all that.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Technically, humans do a lot of things that aren't natural in the eyes of Nature. The whole notion of Marriage/Love/staying with a single partner throughout your whole life? Nature is straight up going "No, no *THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS" in regard to reproduction and all that.

Factually incorrect.

There's all sorts of animals that mate for life, or at least for long periods. Seahorses, coyotes, bald eagles, swans, Canada geese, beavers, grey wolves, gibbons... the list goes on.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Some animals mate monogamously. Or in serial monogamy, which seems to be the most common pattern for humans.

But if a Beaver, named Hoover, makes a dam, which beavers are known for doing, then said dam is technically natural.
Where is this "technical" "in the eyes of Nature" definition coming from? It springs from a pre-scientific view of humanity and human activity as separate from and somehow above nature. Which we're definitely not.

Maxperson thinks ant tunnels and beaver dams aren't natural, because creatures construct them.

Weiley31

Legend
Some animals mate monogamously. Or in serial monogamy, which seems to be the most common pattern for humans.

Where is this "technical" "in the eyes of Nature" definition coming from? It springs from a pre-scientific view of humanity and human activity as separate from and somehow above nature. Which we're definitely not.

Maxperson thinks ant tunnels and beaver dams aren't natural, because creatures construct them.
But technically, if Beavers are known for making dams, then the Beaver Dam is natural because it is made from a natural animal.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I thought it was clear from context. Outside of nature itself. And both of those questions are a yes. Ant tunnels do not occur by themselves. They are constructed. Same with bird nests.
There is no "outside of nature", until we start talking about the supernatural and the divine. Your arbitrary choice of "constructed" as the line to differentiate natural from unnatural has no particular epistemic merit, and I think any rubric which defines bird or bear nests, ant tunnels and beaver dams as unnatural is inherently absurd. If a process of reasoning I'm using puts out absurd results, I try to reconsider the process I'm using.

Holy hell you just went way out into left field, decided that left field wasn't far enough and tripled it, then decided to go even further into something that just plain wasn't said or implied. Don't assign crap like that to me again.
The two reasoning errors are closely related. Sorry to have made you uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Well, did you also know the dad Seahorse gives birth to live young as well?
Sounds like something a lot of (poorly educated in biology) people would call unnatural! I have heard from many people that ONLY BIOLOGICAL FEMALES CAN BEAR YOUNG.

They're very insistent about it.

Last edited:

Remove ads