• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Xanathar's 18 Pages of What??

outsider

First Post
Okay, is it just me, or could Xanathar's 18 pages of names been better spent elaborating on magic item creation? The rules for item creation in the DM guide are vague, and basically forces a DM (especially us busy DMs) to house rule a lot of it. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but if you don't have enough imagination to create a cool character name, then maybe RPGs are not the games for you.

Normally what I want from my D&D books is all mechanics.

That being said though, there's ALOT of new D&D players out there this edition. I find all the rp fluff(including the names) in Xanathars to be of fairly good quality, and useful.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I feel like everyone who is enraged with these 18 pages probably just isn't the kind of player who needs them. I am NOT one of the players who needs these 18 pages, but there are many people who will use them as a tabletop reference when playing in person. I play in person, an although I do not need these 18 pages of names, I have casually used them as a source of generic NPC names quite a few times now.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
On the one hand, 18 pages of random names seems like a waste of space.

On the other hand, at least they didn't fill those 18 pages with poor rules.

CapnZapp

Legend
I don't agree, I think you are giving experienced game designers too much credit. If we look at things like races, or sub-classes or whatever other mechanical formulas the game has... there's nothing that has come out that couldn't (or hasn't) been accomplished by regular folks on DMs Guild or Reddit. And in fact, I go through all kinds of stuff on the Unearthed Arcana Reddit and don't see any massive drop-offs between what the normies are creating and what the WotC folks put out. So to put the WotC folks on this pedestal that only they can produce quality game mechanics is to sell a lot of other creators short... plus it greatly restricts what a person can have available at their disposal to use in their games because they're beholding themselves to WotC stuff unnecessarily.

Yes, for our AL players they have to use the "official" WotC products, and there are some other players so paranoid about "game balance" that they don't trust the community who design their own stuff, *OR* their own personal vision to be able to distinguish balanced from unbalanced material that the community produces. So I certainly can understand the desire to ONLY have official WotC products on the table and to then be annoyed when a book that could have extra space for more mechanical material doesn't end up using it.

But then again... we've known for the last four years of the game's existence that WotC is doing their level best NOT to produce too much mechanical chaff and only make smaller stalks of wheat. And thus, we are mistaken in thinking that Xanathar's is wasting available pages by putting in all the proper names and/or re-printing sub-classes and spells from elsewhere (which could have been filled by all-new material)... because in point of fact, they always only intended to include a certain amount of new mechanical material and probably would have just made a smaller book had they not included all that other stuff.
And I'm think you give WotC too much leeway.

In other words, I think you focus on something entirely different than what I had in mind when I wrote my post.

I want WotC to produce official crunch. I want to pay WotC to produce quality crunch.

I want WotC not to get away with selling padding. I don't want to pay WotC for pages of filler.

Whether there is 3PP stuff and whether it is any good is entirely beside the issue.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's kind of like some if the 2nd Ed books. A bit of fluff. Makes them more fun to read vs a spell compendium or martial power type books.
Sell to more people eg DM, roleplayers, power gamers, players etc.

gyor

Legend
I can literally think of hundreds of better uses they could have put those 18 pages to. If it wasn't for the Subclasses, Spells, and to a lesser extent Racial feats I'd never have bought the book.

I can literally think of hundreds of better uses they could have put those 18 pages to. If it wasn't for the Subclasses, Spells, and to a lesser extent Racial feats I'd never have bought the book.

I personally think Xanathar's had plenty and the name tables were a nice little bonus, but okay.

gyor

Legend
I'm running an Egyptian game with not Romans and not Greeks.

The name lists are the thing I have used the most from Xanathars.

Sebni, Neferu and Attius say hi.

You could have found that for free with a Google search, better in fact, but you could find out what the name means too and family names, act...

Remove ads