Xanathar's Guide to Everything

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
4 out of 5 rating for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

I couldn't find too much fault here. New subtypes (several based off old-edition AD&D class kits), new racial feats, new spells. All great stuff. There's a few nitpicky things such as common magical items (if magic is supposed to be rare and special, giving crap that doesn't do crap seems lame) and a few spells that are unbalanced. Overall, it's a weekly part of my game table now.

The book details many new items, classes, and cleared up some things for me. Expensive but if you can buy it then it has a lot of interesting things to read and use.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
5 out of 5 rating for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

A lot of the other reviews here do a great job of detailing what is in this book, so I won't go into it. Since it has come out, it has been very useful in prep and play. I especially love the naming tables in practice, particularly when fleshing out contacts, friends and relatives when using the life generation tables. It is actually a very thoughtful and well done contribution.

gweinel

Explorer

Xanathar's Guide offers all the things that advertises: more subclasses, feats, expanded rules for skills/tools and downtime. Some are ok, some are bad and some are excellent.
The bad: The subclasses. I find that most of these subclasses are so limited in scope and bad implemented. I have the notion that in many of the subclasses, they just wanted to put specific mehanics and just flavoured the mechanics in order to be implemented in the game. This led some of the rules feel very gamist.
A big part of the book and probably unnecessary is the chapter with the names.
The ok: The expanded downtime, tools and feats are in general good.
The excellent: The character/background rules. Having new players in my group, these tables and guides really helpled the new players to make the background and flesh out their characters pretty well.

Jesse David

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

The only 5e books I use more than this are the PHB and Monster Manual. Better than the DMG, and wayyy better than SCAG.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases