• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Xbox Originals...Worthwhile?

SnowRaven

First Post
I liked Fable, and I like the idea of the XBox Originals, but...

Well, you can probably pick up used games of these for cheaper than $15, and if you've got the standard 20gig, I'm not sure how fast you can fill it with these.

Still, I never played Psychonauts, so there's always that.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Unless the BC is mucked up, you'd be better off just buying them used on ebay or something. Especially Fable - the greatest hits version has the extra content from the PC version, which almost makes it into half of a game, instead only 1/3 of one.

BadMojo

First Post
SnowRaven said:
Still, I never played Psychonauts, so there's always that.

I still have my original Xbox, but unless backward compatability is a problem I'd just pick Fable and Psychonauts up off of Ebay or something.

Psychonauts is a great game and is definitely still worth playing though.

IcyCool

First Post
Fable is good for about 6 hours. Then you finish it.

Burnout 3 is pretty much all about the car crashing. Which is great for maybe an hour or two, then gets a little old.

Psychonauts is a fantastic game, one of my absolute favorites.

Arnwyn

First Post
Felon said:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xboxoriginals/default.htm

So, for 1200 MS points (that's $15 in real money), I can download some games from the Xbox generation that I missed out on. Obviously, I don't need to ask if there's anybody out there who's played Halo, but I'm really interested in Fable and Psychonauts, and to a lesser extent, Fusion Frenzy and Burnout 3.

Anyone have opinions to share?
*shrug*

Due to the 360's poor HDD space, I certainly wouldn't, but if you have an Elite it might work for you.

However, all the games you listed above are backwards compatible on the 360 (see http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm), so $15 plus HDD space sounds like a bit of a rip-off to me (since you can get them much cheaper used).

Asmor

First Post
IcyCool said:
Burnout 3 is pretty much all about the car crashing. Which is great for maybe an hour or two, then gets a little old.

Going to have to respectfully disagree. Burnout 3: Takedown is an absolutely fantastic game. The only thing I can really say against it is that it is not Burnout Revenge (aka Burnout 4), which isn't exactly revolutionary but is evolutionary to the point where once you've gotten used to 4 it feels awkward to go back to 3.

But I digress. Burnout 3 is an amazing racing game, and nothing can match the Burnout series for sheer sense of speed. When you're blazing down the busy highway at 200 mph, it feels like you're blazing down the busy highway at 200 mph.

It's worth mentioning that Burnout, as a series, is very arcadey. By that, I mean the focus is more on over-the-top action than on simulation, like Project Gotham Racing is. One style is not inherently better than the other, it's all up to your personal tastes.

The crash mode is entertaining as a diversion, but gets old fast. Thankfully, the crash mode is not the whole game, it's just the thing that stands out and sets Burnout apart from the crowd. Once you actually play it, you'll find the racing to be very enjoyable. It almost plays like a hybrid between a racer and a fighting game... While you're taking short cuts, drifting past curves and making huge jumps, you gotta keep an eye out behind you for enemies just waiting to take you out. Similarly, you have to try and find opportunities to take out your opponents as well, as that's the fastest way to get boost and the only way to extend your boost bar.

Felon

First Post
Asmor said:
Going to have to respectfully disagree. Burnout 3: Takedown is an absolutely fantastic game. The only thing I can really say against it is that it is not Burnout Revenge (aka Burnout 4), which isn't exactly revolutionary but is evolutionary to the point where once you've gotten used to 4 it feels awkward to go back to 3.

But I digress. Burnout 3 is an amazing racing game, and nothing can match the Burnout series for sheer sense of speed. When you're blazing down the busy highway at 200 mph, it feels like you're blazing down the busy highway at 200 mph.

It's worth mentioning that Burnout, as a series, is very arcadey. By that, I mean the focus is more on over-the-top action than on simulation, like Project Gotham Racing is. One style is not inherently better than the other, it's all up to your personal tastes.

The crash mode is entertaining as a diversion, but gets old fast. Thankfully, the crash mode is not the whole game, it's just the thing that stands out and sets Burnout apart from the crowd. Once you actually play it, you'll find the racing to be very enjoyable. It almost plays like a hybrid between a racer and a fighting game... While you're taking short cuts, drifting past curves and making huge jumps, you gotta keep an eye out behind you for enemies just waiting to take you out. Similarly, you have to try and find opportunities to take out your opponents as well, as that's the fastest way to get boost and the only way to extend your boost bar.
Road Rash is one of my all-time favorite games (I still giggle when I think of taking the bike cops' nightsticks from them and sending them tumbling down the street). Sounds like there are similarities.

Did the orginal XBox games have achievements?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads