D&D 4E XP in 4E?

Orcus

First Post
I try my best to keep on top of all the info on 4E. But I havent seen this, and I wonder if anyone knows.

How much XP does it take to get those pregens from 1st to 2nd level? And more generally, just what do we know about XP in 4E?

I know we have seen that XP for monsters is static, meaning you earn a fixed amount of XP per monster (unlike 3E's sliding XP based on CR and PC level).

Anyone?

Clark

Glyfair

Explorer
Orcus said:
How much XP does it take to get those pregens from 1st to 2nd level? And more generally, just what do we know about XP in 4E?
I don't believe we have seen anything about PC experience yet. The most I remember are some implications that PCs all share an XP table like 3E and unlike earlier editions.

Knight Otu

First Post
I seem to recall someone saying that the new measure is ten encounters of equivalent level for level up. If that's the case, it should be 1000 XP for 2nd level, another 1250 (total 2250) XP for 3rd, and so on.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Based on what is known of the monster XP, and what has been said in podcasts and previews and DDXP, etc. some people have guessed that roughly 10 encounters should equal a level.

Other than that, nothing has been confirmed.

Wycen

Explorer
I'm guessing levelling up will be nearly as fast as in 3E, however with 30 levels the rationale is it will be "slower".

Glyfair

Explorer
Wycen said:
I'm guessing levelling up will be nearly as fast as in 3E, however with 30 levels the rationale is it will be "slower".
Actually, it's been stated it will be slightly faster per level in 4E. I don't think they've actually compared 1-20 in 3E vs. 1-30 in 4E, publically.

The Little Raven

First Post
Glyfair said:
Actually, it's been stated it will be slightly faster per level in 4E. I don't think they've actually compared 1-20 in 3E vs. 1-30 in 4E, publically.

Actually, they said at the announcement last year that 4e's 1-30 would be roughly the same time as 3e's 1-20.

Andur

First Post
Considering I've never had a 3.x group ever get close to 20, infinity is not a good answer...

XP per level in 4e is dependent on the amount of free alcohol the DM is provided each night. So a DM should take the encounter(s) XP multiply it by a baseline of 1.1 per ounce of actual alcohol (so 80 proof whisky would require 2.5 ounces to get the 1.1 multiplier, 5 ounces would give 1.21 multiplier, etc.) The multiplier only lasts as long as the alcohol is available though.

Now given a group of 5 splitting a fifth of whisky the 1.21 multiplier should be considered the standard for every two encounters played per night.

Some of the above may be total conjecture.

Remove ads